Restaurant reservations necessary? Visiting the Swiss Alps in May

• Miggles
    Participant
    59 posts
    1 April 2024 at 20:09:01 #1347525

I was told by the company we are renting from that we do not need to make restaurant reservations early in Grindelwald since we are going in the latter part of May (24-28).  Is this correct? What about other locations like Luzern, Lauterbrunnen, St. Moritz or Interlaken?  If I need to reserve, would I just look up the phone numbers and call the restaurants?  That could get expensive from the US.

Miggles

• Alpenrose555
    Participant
    350 posts
    2 April 2024 at 6:27:15 #1347551

Hi Miggles,

If there are particular restaurants you want to go to, it’s probably best to reserve. For most restaurants you can do this online, but a day or two ahead should be enough in most cases. However, if the company you are renting from is a local company, I would trust their advice based on local knowledge.

Late May is either off-season or very early in the season in the mountains, so many restaurants will be closed, and those that remain open might well be in demand. This would apply to Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald. St Moritz in particular has a very long “off-season”, from about early April until mid-late June.

In addition, most restaurants in the smaller villages are attached to hotels. While they are open to people who aren’t staying in the hotel, they mainly cater to their overnight guests and might prefer advance notice of extra dinner guests.

I would expect plenty of restaurants to be open in Luzern and Interlaken, so unless there is a very popular restaurant that you particularly want to go to, there should be no shortage of restaurants where you can just walk in without a reservation.

Hope this helps!

Alpenrose

Miggles
    Participant
    59 posts
    17 April 2024 at 22:28:24 #1429366

Thank you, Alpenrose.   I tried to make a reservation online for PfisternRestaurant in Luzern.  They asked for a country code with my phone number.  There was a pull down. I saw UA but not USA. What is that code?

Alpenrose555
    Participant
    350 posts
    18 April 2024 at 5:55:47 #1429376

Hi Miggles,

The country code you need is +1 (US), which is 7th in the drop-down list.

You will of course need international roaming activated to get a call or text while in Switzerland.

Hope you enjoy the restaurant!

Alpenrose

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11130 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.