Berner Oberland Pass + Saver Day Pass for 3 nights in Wengen?

• Cora
    Participant
    19 posts
    3 May 2024 at 14:37:23 #1494370

hello again,

what is best? I’m thinking of buying Oberland pass for 3 days and buy saver day pass for my husband ( 2 days saver day pass )

my itenerary: based in wengen ( arenas resort ) for  3 nights

22.08 Harder Kulm , lake Brienz, Lauterbrunnen ( with husband and 2 other couple )

23.08 Grindelwald first, first walk, balchapsee hike ( with husband and 2 other couple except hike )

24.08 shilthorn, Gimmelwald , Männlichen, hike to klein Scheidegg ( solo )

Best,

Cora

• Alpenrose555
    Participant
    398 posts
    4 May 2024 at 6:54:31 #1494391

Hi Cora,

The Saver Day Pass covers transport to inhabited places, but most mountain transport is excluded.

In the Jungfrau Region, of the places you mention you will visit, the Saver Day Pass won’t cover these, or give any discount at all:

• funicular to Harder Kulm
    • gondola to Grindelwald First
    • cable car from Mürren to the Schilthorn
    • cable car Wengen to Männlichen
    • gondola Grindelwald to Männlichen

So if your husband won’t be accompanying you to any of these places, then the Saver Day Pass looks like a good choice for him.

Trains, buses and cable cars to the villages of Lauterbrunnen, Wengen, Mürren, Gimmelwald and Stechelberg are included though, as are the lake boats on the Brienzersee (Lake Brienz) and the Thunersee (Lake Thun).

More information on the Saver Day Pass is here:

https://www.myswissalps.com/travel-ticket/saver-day-pass/

Hope this helps!

Alpenrose

Stay informed and inspired with the latest forum discussions e-mailed to you every day. Valuable questions and answers to help with your travel planning.

Cora
    Participant
    19 posts
    4 May 2024 at 15:48:41 #1496860

Thank you Alpenrose for the infos. Base on your response, buying Oberland pass make sense. I already bought Swiss half fare and this combo is perfect. I don’t have to worry about buying multiple train tickets.
    Joining the myswissalps.com is the best. I’ve been reading and learning a lot from your advice and also from other members experiences. Highly recommended.

Best,

Cora

manjari
    Participant
    6 posts
    5 May 2024 at 0:50:01 #1496870

Hi Cora & all,

I am in Wengen from 6th July to 9th July, possibly in Interlaken/ Lucerne on 10th july and flying out on 11th July from Zurich in afternoon. I am travelling with my 14yr old daughter. I am thinking the bernese ober pass for $310  (280 +30 junior) would cover most of the days in Wengen & around excursions. If I end up staying in Interlaken on 10th then I don’t have to worry about any excursions travel tix in lucerne.  Would this be a correct statement?

I would have to pay extra from Interlaken to Zurich as that would not be covered by Bernese ober pass. That would be approx 85$ a full price it seems. So just with Ober pass the total would be $592 = 310+85+ 198 (99*2 for Juanfraujoch visit).

If I buy the halffare card my price + bern ober card my cost would be $579 = 120+217 (discounted bern ober)+ 44 +198.

Does the above numbers make sense. I end up saving approx 80 -85 on each of the options when compared to Swiss travel.

Any reason I would need the Swiss Travel Pass if I do skip Lucerne?

Thanks

Manjari

Yolanda
    2486 posts
    5 May 2024 at 20:34:23 #1497275

Hi Manjari,

Your first paragraph is correct. All information in regard to the Berner Oberland Pass, how to use, a coverage map, discounts and there are some online purchase suggestions too can be found in the below link:

With the Berner Oberland Pass, you would only need a ticket from Zurich – Bern, or Zurich – Lucerne (depending which route you choose) thereon the pass would kick in and take you to Interlaken.

If you went ahead with the purchase of a Swiss Half Fare Card, that’s right your Berner Oberland Pass for you, would be discounted by 30%.  In addition, having the Swiss Half Fare Card, you could then apply for the Swiss Family Card, which would allow your daughter to travel for free whilst with you. She would not need the child’s version of the Berner Oberland Pass.

More details below:

I’d choose the Swiss Travel Pass, if you intended to travel further afar but as most of your travel is in the Bernese Oberland, it could be enough with the Berner Oberland Pass and Swiss Half Fare Card.  If you wanted to be extra sure, we do have a downloadable spreadsheet that you can use, to carry out your maths.  Thereon, based on your daily plans, the best rail pass is displayed.  Take a look at the link below:

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11380 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.