Scenic village recommendations to stay near Zurich?

• Campsey82
    Participant
    2 posts
    9 May 2024 at 2:37:05 #1520671

Planning a second trip to Switzerland for September. Last time I stayed in Luzern and Wengen. I”ll be flying in and out of Zurich and then taking trains.I’d like to avoid 4 hour train rides. I’m considering 3 or 4 days in the Appenzell and then perhaps a small town or village near Zurich or Luzern (only saw the old town and Rigi last time) but would prefer not staying in Luzern this time.. Zur? Stein am Rhein? Suggestions?

• 1 post
    9 May 2024 at 14:35:45 #1522469

Rapperswil is on the lake and has the facilities to accommodate tourists.  The train from Zurich takes about 40 minutes.  It is a cute town, has a couple of good restaurants.

Stay informed and inspired with the latest forum discussions e-mailed to you every day. Valuable questions and answers to help with your travel planning.

Campsey82
    Participant
    2 posts
    9 May 2024 at 15:07:16 #1522474

Thanks. Rapperswil looks like a great alternative. By the way a typo in my question. I meant to ask about Zug, not Zur.

Yolanda
    2496 posts
    9 May 2024 at 22:44:10 #1522496

Hi Campsey8,

I agree with  richard_linquanti’s helpful reply.  Thanks richard_linquanti and welcome to MySwissAlps.

Rapperswil is lovely. Lovely waterfront to walk along and enjoy the views. If you wanted and had the time, you also have the option to take the boat to Zurich for a visit.  Boat trip details can be found in the attached link:

Zug is also located on a lake, much quieter than Zurich so if you prefer a little more hustle and bustle then Zug could be too quiet.  The old town is pretty and picturesque.

I like Stein am Rhein too, again located on a lake. A very charming town, interesting timbered buildings.

Use the Swiss timetable so you can gauge commute times for the rest of your trip and see what would work best:

Kind regards,

Yolanda

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11420 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.