How to reserve train seats for Lausanne-Milan with Swiss Travel Pass

• Chinthika
    Participant
    16 posts
    21 April 2024 at 13:25:55 #1436636

Hi

Im planning to book a train from Lausanne to Milan for late May. We are a family of three and plan to use Swiss Travel pass.

Can we reserve the seats for the EC train from Lausanne to Milan eventhough its not mandatory.

I tried the SBB site, bit its shows the ticket price including the reservation, so please advise how to purchase only the ticket reservation of 5 EUR each

Thank you in advance

Chinthika

• Yolanda
    2412 posts
    21 April 2024 at 22:27:11 #1436687

Hi Chinthika,

Yes, you can purchase seat reservations even though they are not mandatory.  Purchase of seat reservations can also be made at any rail station too.

We have a page explaining seat reservations:

My understanding via the SBB website, there should be an option to scroll down and select ‘Seat reservation only’.

Note, should you have the Swiss Travel Pass (https://www.myswissalps.com/travel-ticket/swiss-travel-pass/).  For your journey Lausanne to Milan, you would only need to purchase a rail ticket for the Italian section (most likely Domodossola-Milan).  The rest of your travel within Switzerland is covered with the pass.  You can read about travel to/from Italy in the link below, there are purchase options too for any ‘Italy tickets’.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Chinthika
    Participant
    16 posts
    26 April 2024 at 9:19:54 #1461773

Dear Yolanda

Thanks. Will check the SBB site again  as I couldn’t locate only the  seat reservation for the said train

Chinthika

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11170 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.