2nd class Swiss Travel Pass Flex: eligible for upgrade discount?

• Stubby
    Participant
    4 posts
    13 April 2024 at 19:38:23 #1405066

Looking at purchasing the 2nd class stp flex for our 3 week trip.   Seems to be best option for us.   I know I want to upgrade a few rail trips to first and when I go to SBB  website and put in my info and go to purchase, it asks for discounts and my options are half fare or no discount. Would my STP flex pass be considered “no discount”.  Another forum indicated both were correct by different posters.

Any  help is greatly appreciated.

• Alpenrose555
    Participant
    349 posts
    14 April 2024 at 10:52:24 #1405087

Hi Stubby,

Getting a class upgrade for a day on which you are activating a travel day of your Swiss Travel Pass Flex entitles you to a half-fare discount on the cost of the upgrade (https://www.myswissalps.com/travel/train/classes/).

The official authority for this is a document called “T673 – Offer Switzerland – Swiss Travel System – Edition 01.01.2024”:

“2.1.3.4 Passengers with a 2nd class STP/STPF ticket who wish to travel first class can pay for a reduced-cost class upgrade or a Supersaver Class Upgrade for the relevant route.”

In the document, STP is defined as Swiss Travel Pass and STPF is defined as Swiss Travel Pass Flex.

I hope this clears your doubts!

Alpenrose

Yolanda
    2387 posts
    14 April 2024 at 21:03:09 #1405443

Hi Stubby,

Yes, as explained by Alpenrose, a Swiss Travel Pass Flex would indeed allow for a discount when you wish to treat yourself to a 1st class upgrade 🙂

When carrying out your upgrade, yes, you’d need to select the “half-fare” as the option if there no “Swiss Travel Pass (Flex)” box to tick.

If you need any online purchase options for the Swiss Travel Pass (Flex), you can find some in our handy guide below:

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Stubby
    Participant
    4 posts
    16 April 2024 at 22:02:49 #1415991

Thank you. I had a hard time finding that information and appreciate your help. Have a great day!

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11120 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.