Buying rail tickets with Swiss Travel Pass, do trains get full?

• CGuf
    Participant
    2 posts
    4 May 2024 at 15:33:19 #1496857

Hello,

My daughter and I are traveling to Switzerland mid-May. I’m trying to purchase tickets using the Swiss Travel Pass but I can’t find the option to do that. When I read other’s posts about not needing tickets and just to check the train timetables, I wonder if the trains ever get full. If I wait to get tickets, do I run a chance that the train will be full?

Thank you for your help!

Cyndie

• JaneEB
    Participant
    220 posts
    5 May 2024 at 14:14:07 #1497218

Hi Cyndie

Welcome

If you have a Swiss Travel Pass you do not need to buy tickets you just show your STP when the ticket inspector asks when you are on the train.  You need to show your passport as well to prove identity.

There are frequent trains and I have never known them to be full, but they may be busier at Peak Times.

Hope this is of help.

Jane

Stay informed and inspired with the latest forum discussions e-mailed to you every day. Valuable questions and answers to help with your travel planning.

Yolanda
    2506 posts
    5 May 2024 at 19:44:13 #1497270

Hi Cyndie,

Yes, that’s right.  Following on from Jane’s reply, when you have a Swiss Travel Pass, no need to purchase tickets – you can just conveniently hop on and off.  The only time you would need a ticket, which would be discounted is where you see the dotted or broken lines on the coverage map. Typically for mountain transport.

You can download  and view the coverage map in the attached link.  Within the link you can also read all about how to use the Swiss Travel Pass too. Online purchase options for the pass are also listed, should you need any:

As you whether trains get busy.  Generally you will find you will always be able to find a seat.  I agree with Jane, it can get busy during peak periods.  Seat reservations are not really necessary but for some scenic rides, reservations are compulsory.  You can read all about this in the below link:

Enjoy your trip.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

CGuf
    Participant
    2 posts
    5 May 2024 at 23:03:38 #1497282

Thank you so much. That makes me feel a little more at ease about tickets. I’m so looking forward to the trip! Although, I know that it will go by way to quickly.

Best,

Cyndie

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11460 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.