Switzerland tickets and itinerary advice

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2018 at 3:43:16 #815350

Hello Experts,

I am traveling with my family (i.e., wife and parents) and decided upon an itinerary with the help of recommendations from myswissalps experts a couple of months back.

My itinerary:

May-5: Arrive in Lucerne at 5pm (from Zurich), rest up and do a little bit of sightseeing at Lucerne

May-6: Lucerne – Mt. Pilatus Golden Round trip

May-7: Lucerne – Mt. Rigi Majestic Round trip and Lucerne site seeing

May-8: Wengen + Interlaken – Local siteseeing

May-9: Wengen – Jungfrau excursion (Lautterbraunen’s waterfall – Jungfrau – Klien – Scheidigg – Grindelwald)

May-10: Montreux and Zermatt – local site seeing

May-11: Zermatt – Gornergrat

May-12: Zermatt – Matterhorn and then back to Zurich

May-13: 7:45am flight from Zurich

Questions:

1. While revisiting my itinerary I realized that Matterhorn opens on May 12th and we had to switch our plans with Montreux (originally planned on May 12th). I wanted to check if my plan for May 12th is do-able i.e., Matterhorn in the morning and a 4 hour train journey to Zurich.

2. I wanted to confirm if none of the above excursions require advance booking?

3. It would give me a lot of confidence if you could confirm the following tickets are all that would be required and the prices looks roughly correct.

Ticket Prices:

Swiss Travel PASS (8 days) – $436

Mt. Pilatus Golden Round trip – $54

Jungfrau excursion – $146

Gornergrat – $50

Matterhorn – $51

Thanks in advance!

• rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 April 2018 at 7:09:50 #882351

1. I guess you mean Matterhorn Glacier Paradise (Klein Matterhorn)? If so doing that in the morning and getting back to Zurich is doable.

2. No advance bookings are needed.

3. I haven’t done the currency conversion but if you are using US$ they look about right.

It’s not clear where you are staying – I think Lucerne, Wengen and Zermatt. Wengen to Zermatt via Montreux is a long day.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2018 at 16:21:22 #882352

Thanks rockoyster!

>>It’s not clear where you are staying – I think Lucerne, Wengen and Zermatt. Wengen to Zermatt via Montreux is a long day.

May-9: Staying in Wengen

May-10: Staying at Zermatt

We were planning to travel between Wengen and Zermatt (via Montreux). Do you see a concern with this plan? And will there be a place where we could drop our luggage at Montreux?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 April 2018 at 20:46:15 #882353

Wengen to Zermatt is just over 7 hours straight through by that route. If you are OK with that it’s fine. You can leave bags in lockers at Montreux station if you plan to look around there.

• The thread ‘Switzerland tickets and itinerary advice’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11120 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.