Lugano to Malpensa T2 with Swiss Travel Pass

• Miggles
    Participant
    66 posts
    3 May 2024 at 17:35:34 #1494374

I have the Swiss Travel Pass. I will be traveling from Lugano to Malpensa T 2. I was told my trip to border is covered by STP but I would need to purchase a ticket from Cantello Gaggiolo to Malpensa, the Italy portion. The train is direct from Lugano to Malpensa on the S10.  I depart at 10:06 and arrive at Malpensa at 11:47.  I then looked on Trainitalia app and matched up the time I would reach Cantello Gaggiolo but that ticket says S50.  Will my ticket still work if I stay on S10 or do I have to switch trains?? I hope I don’t have to do that.

• Alpenrose555
    Participant
    398 posts
    4 May 2024 at 6:29:02 #1494388

Hi Miggles,

The S10 and the S50 are the same train up until Mendriso. At Mendrisio, the train is split in two. The S10 continues to Como S. Giovanni, while the S50 runs to Malpensa airport.

You don’t have to change trains, but you do need to ensure you board one of the carriages that goes to Malpensa as the S50, so you don’t accidentally end up in Como! Usually the carriages that continue to Malpensa as the S50 are located at the back of the train.

There will be a sign on each carriage next to the train doors that indicates the destination for that carriage. There will usually be an announcement in the train before Mendrisio to alert any passengers who have boarded the wrong section of the train.

I have attached some screenshots to show how this information is shown in the timetable, and here is a link to further information:

https://www.tilo.ch/en/collegamenti/S50/

Hope this clarifies things!

Alpenrose

Stay informed and inspired with the latest forum discussions e-mailed to you every day. Valuable questions and answers to help with your travel planning.

Miggles
    Participant
    66 posts
    4 May 2024 at 14:32:24 #1496856

Alpenrose,

Again thank you for your thorough reply. One more question- Do I need to buy my Trainitalia ticket from Menrisio instead of Contello Gaggiolo to Malpensa T2?

Miggles

Anna
    6458 posts
    4 May 2024 at 21:33:01 #1496867

Hi Miggles,

I would get the ticket from Stabio to Malpensa.

More information about tickets and travel between Switzerland and Italy here: https://www.myswissalps.com/travel-guide/italy-switzerland/

Regards,

Anna

Miggles
    Participant
    66 posts
    9 May 2024 at 3:08:41 #1520672

Ana,

Why not purchase a ticket where the train splits at  Mendrisio since that where it splits?
    United Airlines won’t  tell me which terminal I will be flying back to the USA.  My landlord in Milan said all international flights come in and out of terminal 1.  I will reserve that and will stay on the train when they said I would find out the day before the flight !!

Miggles

Alpenrose555
    Participant
    398 posts
    9 May 2024 at 3:53:20 #1520673

Hi Miggles,

The validity map for the Swiss Travel Pass indicates that it is valid as far as Cantello-Gaggiolo, so you only need a ticket from Cantello-Gaggiolo to Malpensa.

The fact that your train splits at Mendrisio is not relevant to ticketing.

Hope this clarifies things!

Alpenrose

Yolanda
    2486 posts
    9 May 2024 at 7:52:00 #1520683

Hi Miggles,

Yes, travel to Cantello-Gaggiolo is covered with your Swiss Travel Pass.  You can view the coverage map in the link below:

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Miggles
    Participant
    66 posts
    10 May 2024 at 21:51:40 #1525254

Alpenrose,

Since Cantello Gaggiolo is in Italy, should I buy that ticket to Malpensa on the Trainitalia app instead of SBB so I won’t get confused like I did before ordering for an Italian train on a Swiss app!!

Miggles
    Participant
    66 posts
    10 May 2024 at 22:34:10 #1525256

I went on Trainitalia and I cannot purchase that ticket on S50 so I will purchase it on SBB from Cantello Gaggioli to Malpensa.

Thanks,

Miggles

Anna
    6458 posts
    11 May 2024 at 11:28:53 #1527017

Hi Miggles,

Have you tried purchasing your tickets from this link: https://www.myswissalps.com/travel-guide/italy-switzerland/#tickets

Regards,

Anna

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11390 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.