Milan-Varenna-Tirano: Trenitalia train reservations, how to check in?

• Miggles
    Participant
    59 posts
    17 April 2024 at 22:08:41 #1429364

I made a train reservation on the SBB app for a trip from Milan to Varenna.  I received an email confirming and found the tickets. I printed it and do understand now that they are not valid until we check in with Trenitalia on the day of our trip.  My question is this.  Where do I go to check-in?

I then made my other reservations from Varenna to Tirano on the Trenitalia app. Those tickets are in the My Journey section and at the bottom of each ticket are the words “Check-in.

Again, I do not see my other trip from Milan to Varenna.  Where do I go find my tickets to check in? I contacted SBB and they immediately responded go to the Trenitalia app or the Trenitalia website.  I did both and do not see them.  I tried to live chat, send a  message and call Trenitalia and could not get through with any of these channels.  Any suggestions?

• Yolanda
    2387 posts
    18 April 2024 at 20:44:48 #1431128

Hi Miggles,

I would keep trying with Trenitalia.

Our forum is dedicated to travel in Switzerland so unless some fellow travellers have had a similar experience to yourself, it’s difficult for us to advise.

I hope it all works out.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Alpenrose555
    Participant
    350 posts
    19 April 2024 at 5:18:50 #1431140

Hi Miggles,

This check-in requirement is a reasonably new thing, introduced towards the end of last year, so there probably aren’t many (if any) people frequenting this forum who have personal experience of it, especially with a ticket bought from SBB rather than Trenitalia.

If you don’t manage to get clear directions from Trenitalia, I would ask on the Train Travel Forum on Trip Advisor.

If nobody there knew, you could take the printed tickets to the ticket office when you are in Milano to find out how to validate them. You might have to scan a QR code. If possible, I would find this out before your travel day, otherwise leave plenty of time before your train departs in case there are queues at the ticket office.

Hope this helps!

Alpenrose

Anna
    6397 posts
    19 April 2024 at 21:32:46 #1433821

Hi Miggles,

You can check in using the Trenitalia App.

More details from the Trenitalia  website: https://www.trenitalia.com/en/purchase/digital-regional-ticket.html

Regards,

Anna

Alpenrose555
    Participant
    350 posts
    22 April 2024 at 15:14:32 #1440162

Hi Miggles,

Have you sorted out your check-in problem yet?

I have just recently read elsewhere that you can load the tickets bought from SBB into the Trenitalia app by using the booking code you received.

Let us know how you go with this!

Alpenrose

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11130 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.