Train trip from Appenzell to Bern – scenic trains, routes

• Jennyh57
    Participant
    4 posts
    15 April 2024 at 6:18:32 #1405460

Hi, We are travelling in June from Appenzell to Bern. We want to go on the Volparen Express to Lucerne, Luzern-Interlaken Express to Interlaken, then what train should we going on from Interlaken to Bern if we are looking to go on the most scenic trains? Thanks in advance, Jenny.

• Alpenrose555
    Participant
    349 posts
    15 April 2024 at 12:33:47 #1405465

Hi Jenny,

Without making a very long detour, the only feasible option I can think of would be the “normal” route via Thun. The stretch from Interlaken West to Thun along the Thunersee (Lake Thun) is scenic. After Thun, I would describe it as pleasant rather than particularly scenic.

You could also incorporate a boat ride from Interlaken West to Thun, from where you would continue by train to Bern.

Hope this helps!

Alpenrose

MikeHw
    Participant
    7 posts
    15 April 2024 at 13:35:29 #1406634

Hello.

Re Alpenrose’s post: The cruise on Lake Thun would be my preferred option. Failing that you might try the bus (No 21) from Interlaken (East or West). In my opinion the views from the bus are much more interesting than those from the train, because the road from Interlaken to Thun keeps very close to the lake shore almost all the way.

So my first choice would be the boat, next the bus and the train third choice if you are pushed for time.

I hope this helps.

Mike

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11110 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.