Trip to Gruyères cheese factory and Maison Cailler chocolate factory

• Susangeorge9
    Participant
    7 posts
    29 April 2024 at 7:32:42 #1466994

My husband and I are planning on a day trip to Gruyères Cheese Factory and Maison Cailler Chocolate factory from Montreux, most likely around end of May 2024 and would appreciate any help with this. (We do not plan to take the Chocolate train).

1) Is there a direct train from Montreux to Gruyères/Broc, or is it through Montbovon to either of those locations?

2) What is the best time to arrive at Gruyeres to see the cheese making process? i.e anytime during their open hours or better to start around their opening hours.

3) Which is better to go first: Gruyères or Cailler?

4) If Gruyères first, is it best to go by bus or train to Cailler or, if Cailler first, what is the best way to go to Gruyères?

5) Do we have to book a restaurant at Gruyères in advance for lunch, or easy to find restaurants?

6) Any other tips for this trip would be appreciated.

Thank you so much,

Susan

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11360 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.