How to store Swiss Travel Pass on mobile phone?

• Felicity
    Participant
    8 posts
    9 May 2024 at 18:47:28 #1522484

Now I can’t access the STP through the mobile app, right? Is there any other way to store it on my phone and avoid having to carry a paper print out?

• Alpenrose555
    Participant
    399 posts
    10 May 2024 at 6:22:56 #1522508

Hi Felicity,

You can just store your Swiss Travel Pass on your phone as a PDF document, and display the QR code to the conductor when required, along with your original passport or government-issued ID.

However, it doesn’t hurt to carry a printed copy as well, in case you lose your phone, or it has a flat battery at the critical time. Unfortunately flat batteries are not accepted as an excuse for not being able to show a valid ticket!

Hope this clarifies things for you!

Alpenrose

Stay informed and inspired with the latest forum discussions e-mailed to you every day. Valuable questions and answers to help with your travel planning.

Felicity
    Participant
    8 posts
    11 May 2024 at 0:42:03 #1525258

Yes, thank you so much! I will do just as you suggested. 🙂

Henry
    Participant
    11 posts
    11 May 2024 at 4:55:49 #1525259

Can I ask a related question and that’s how is the STP checked on buses? I know there are two kinds: one you board at driver’s door and you show the pass, the other one is on an honour system where you board without showing, and wait to be inspected.

I want to know more because I got STP from an agent and I cannot load it to my phone (but only as a PDF).

My question is, if I keep it in my phone as PDF, it would be easy on the train/bus when conductor comes to you. They have the time to read the PDF and scan. However, on buses that I board on the driver door, do I also scan it on a machine or I need to show to the driver? If I have it as PDF on the small phone screen, the driver won’t be able to read all the essential information. Does he take the phone and swipe around or I just wave the screen and they will let us through because there are so many other people needing to board? It puzzles me because the PDF has so much information on but they are all of the same font size. It took me a long time when I initially got it to find all the information (validity period, class, name etc.). I am sure drivers know which part of the document to look but in the case of a non-paper and small screen, how do they do it? Just curious.

Anna
    6465 posts
    11 May 2024 at 11:54:03 #1527020

Hi Henry,

In most cases, you simply board the bus (or any public transport) without showing your rail pass or tickets. Ticket inspections are carried out randomly and all you need to do is show your tickets/railpass plus ID upon request. Rarely you would need to show your tickets or railpass before boarding a bus. But when this happens, you just need to present it to the driver.

You can find more information on how to use the Swiss Travel Pass for travelling here: https://www.myswissalps.com/travel-ticket/swiss-travel-pass/ (scroll down to How the Swiss Travel Pass works)

regards,

Anna

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11420 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.