Visit Oeschinensee on Montreux to Thun trip?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 August 2017 at 17:12:54 #813080

Hi,

We have a fairly busy 9 day trip planned to Switzerland. Just came across this Oeschinensee and it looks really beautiful. Our base during the visit is Thun so wondering if we can visit this place when we return from Montreux? Is that possible?

Haven’t heard much about this lake as a tourist place, should I consider skipping some other place to visit this if it is really good?

Thank you !

• Arno
    15484 posts
    26 August 2017 at 18:04:27 #868966

Hi InTransit,

You can travel from Montreux to Brig, take the local train on the scenic route to Spiez and get off in Kandersteg to visit the Oeschinensee. The timetable helps you to check if this fits in your day. But I would not think so if this is a day trip from Thun to Montreux and back to Thun. That ride takes time and I’m sure you want to do things in Montreux too. The last ride down of the Oeschinensee cable car is 5 or 6 PM. It operates until October 22. It is a wonderful place, yes 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 August 2017 at 18:50:19 #868967

HI Transit

We have been to Oeschinensee as a day trip from Thun a couple of times – very straightforward – but would not consider trying to visit Montreux on same day.

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 August 2017 at 6:46:40 #868968

Thank you Arno and Maggie!

Looks like I’ll skip Oeschinensee then. Too many places to see, too few days available 🙂 Better not to rush too many things.

• The thread ‘Visit Oeschinensee on Montreux to Thun trip?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11130 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.