4 days Zermatt-Bern-Zurich airport: Swiss Half Fare Card or other pass

• sansan
    Participant
    4 posts
    24 March 2024 at 18:21:45 #1311000

Hi there, I plan to use a 6-Day BO pass + Half Fare Card for 6 days trip in Interlaken and Grindelwad.

After that will be heading to Zermatt 2 nights, then Zermatt to Bern 1 night, then Bern to Zurich airport. Would it be possible to use Half Fare Card for the transport from Grindelwad – Zermatt, Zermatt – Bern and Bern – Zurich airport? Or what would be the best suggestion? Thank you very much.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Yolanda
    2373 posts
    24 March 2024 at 23:24:54 #1311007

Hi sansan,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Thanks for sharing your plans.  That’s great you have narrowed down your rail passes to the Berner Oberland Pass and the Swiss Half Fare Card for the first part of your trip.

Should you need any purchase options for both passes, you can find some in our guides, in the attached links below.  Click on ” Where to buy the Berner Oberland Pass/Swiss Half Fare Card” in the table of contents.

For the second part of your trip.  Yes, you can use the Swiss Half Fare Card for the remainder of the trip.  If you are actually traveling on the last validity day of your Berner Oberland Pass, you’d only need to buy a ticket from the exit point of the Berner Oberland Pass network to Zermatt.

You can research your journey by using the Swiss timetable (https://www.myswissalps.com/travel/public-transport/timetable/) or you can also take a look at the validity map to view the Berner Oberland Pass routes that way (download from the Berner Oberland Pass link provided above).

If not, you may want to look at a Saver Day Pass  or Supersaver ticket for traveling. If available, they can be quite reasonably priced and maybe even cheaper than the standard half price ticket Grindelwald to Zermatt for example.

More on both here:

Kind regards,

Yolanda

sansan
    Participant
    4 posts
    25 March 2024 at 15:04:37 #1315095

Thank you Yolanda for the quick reply and helpful links. Much appreciated.

Can I confirm with you even with half fare card we may not get all the trips with reduced price, right? Unless we pair it with a STP or Super Day Pass. Because I keyed in destination in SBB app, some destinations show point-to-point ticket only (with full fare) without reduced rate. 

Thank you.

sansan
    Participant
    4 posts
    25 March 2024 at 15:10:43 #1315098

Sorry, accidentally submitted it a few times as it didn’t shown earlier. Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Anna
    6384 posts
    25 March 2024 at 21:18:43 #1315118

Hi sansan,

I’ve removed the duplicates 🙂

To answer your question – the Swiss Half Fare Card is valid on all Swiss public transport and most mountain transportation. So in general, you should be able to purchase discounted tickets for most of your trips. You can find further information in the following links:

Swiss Half Fare Card validity map: https://www.myswissalps.com/travel-ticket/swiss-half-fare-card/#downloads

Scenic trains with Swiss Half Fare Card: https://www.myswissalps.com/travel-ticket/swiss-half-fare-card/#discounts-train

Mountain excursions with Swiss Half Fare Card: https://www.myswissalps.com/travel-ticket/swiss-half-fare-card/#discounts-mountain

Hope this helps.

regards,

Anna

Alpenrose555
    Participant
    344 posts
    26 March 2024 at 6:36:20 #1315130

Hi sansan,

Do you have your SBB app configured to recognise that you have a half-fare card?

You might find this recent thread helpful:

https://www.myswissalps.com/community/thread/swiss-half-fare-card-24/

If that’s not the problem, can you be specific about starting points and destinations for which you don’t see any half-fare option?

For some short and inexpensive trips, the discount might be a bit less than 50%.

Hope you can figure it out!

Alpenrose

sansan
    Participant
    4 posts
    26 March 2024 at 15:49:16 #1322149

Hi Anna and Alpenrose,

Thank you for your helpful replies. I now understand how the SBB app works, as well as the half fare rate.

I am very grateful for this community, as it has provided me with a lot of good information. Your kind support is much appreciated.

Cheers! ~

Regards,

sansan

Alpenrose555
    Participant
    344 posts
    27 March 2024 at 8:36:36 #1323239

Hi sansan,

I’m glad to see that everything is clear now!

Thank you for expressing your appreciation of the MySwissAlps community!

Alpenrose

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.