Jungfrau region, then France and back to Zurich โ€“ which railpass?

• Ana
    Participant
    13 posts
    22 April 2024 at 2:52:57 #1436693

Hello everyone!

I hope everyone is well ๐Ÿ™‚

I was wondering if anyone could help me please? ๐Ÿ™‚ I โ€˜m not sure whether I should just buy the swiss half fare card and BO pass as well or the swiss travel pass? Iโ€™m trying budget. Should I just buy the swiss half fare card?

This is my itinerary ๐Ÿ™‚

Iโ€™m heading to switzerland on the 12th May (arrive on the 13th in Zurich) Iโ€™ll be in Interlaken for one night before heading to Lauterbrunnen until the 17th may. Activities: walking, cable car rides + train to: Murren (walk to Gimmelwald then back to Murren), visiting grindelwald first, visiting wengen (walk back down from wengen to Lauterbrunnen) and visiting the Matterhorn on the 16th May. I fly to France.

on the 20th May Iโ€™m back in Zurich to head straight to Kandersteg, stay for two nights โ€“ visit the Oeschinese Lake and chill around Kandersteg, on the 22nd I train back to Zurich and visit the old town (anyone know a really good photography film lab in Zurich?) / maybe Luzern and head home on the 24th May.

I appreciate your time and help ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you!

Anastasia

• Anna
    6407 posts
    22 April 2024 at 21:12:01 #1440650

Hi Anastasia,

Since youโ€™ll be basedย  mostly in the Bernese Oberland, using a combination of Swiss Half Fare Card and the Berner Oberland Pass might be sensible. For the last 2 days after coming back from France, I would consider getting a Saver Day Pass for the trip from Zurich to Kandersteg, then just the Swiss Half Fare Card to purchase the excursion tickets to Oeschinensee.

Swiss Half Fare Card: https://www.myswissalps.com/travel-ticket/swiss-half-fare-card/

Berner Oberland Pass: https://www.myswissalps.com/travel-ticket/berner-oberland-pass/

Saver Day Pass: https://www.myswissalps.com/travel-ticket/saver-day-pass/

You can find useful tips on how to choose the best railpass here:ย  https://www.myswissalps.com/travel/tickets/compare/

Regards,

Anna

Ana
    Participant
    13 posts
    23 April 2024 at 0:29:46 #1440655

Hi Anna

thank you for answering my questions!
    Just 3 more ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿฝ

1. The day saver passes: to and from kandersteg to Zurich is this because Iโ€™d get free travel than using the Swiss half fare card?

2. Is 3 or 4 days on the BO pass enough for me during my stay?

3. You canโ€™t use the passes at the same time? Only one at a time depending where you are and what you do? Itโ€™s a bit confusing so sorry!

ย 

many thanks!

ana

Anna
    6407 posts
    23 April 2024 at 21:26:16 #1446874

Hi Ana,

If you have a Swiss Half Fare Card, you can get a much cheaper Saver Day Pass when you purchase early.ย  And that will give you substantial saving if youโ€™re planning a day trip from Zurich. The Saver Day Pass is valid on all public transport routes so you wonโ€™t have to worry that youโ€™ve bought the wrong ticket or travelling on the wrong route.

Based on your trip, I would get a 3- or 4-day Berner Oberland Pass to cover the 1st leg of your trip. With a 4-day Berner Oberland Pass, you need a point-to-point ticket from Zurich to Lucerne on the 1st day. The journey from Lucerne to Interlaken is covered by the Berner Oberland Pass. For the day trip to Zermatt, the Berner Oberland Pass allows you to travel as far as Brig (via mountain route Kandersteg/Goppenstein) by train and bus free of charge. For the journey from Brig to Zermatt, a connecting ticket must be purchased (discounted with Swiss Half Fare Card).

The Berner Oberland Pass will cover most of your travel and excursions in Interlaken and Lauterbrunnen.

Please reach out if you need more info.

Regards,

Anna

Ana
    Participant
    13 posts
    23 April 2024 at 23:17:11 #1446878

Hey Anna!

thank you so much for clarifying and answering my questions โ˜บ๏ธ! Really really appreciate your help!

I look forward to visiting the Swiss alps so soon ๐Ÿ’ซ

have a lovely day Anne!

About MySwissAlps

Weโ€™re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11170 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annikaโ€™s 20-minute e-mail course, โ€œSwitzerland for beginnersโ€. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.