1 week Lucerne-Grindelwald-Zermatt in September

• Duck
    Participant
    13 posts
    21 July 2022 at 16:23:15 #827841

Texas neophyte still trying to finalize Swiss details concerning trip with friends 3rd week of September. Cancelled 4 different trips due to Covid – we stayed healthy thank God. All senior citizens with plenty of European experience but this Swiss trip is unique. The do not miss attractions are the obvious – cruise Lake Lucerne, Mt. Rigi, Jungfraujoch, Trummelbach Falls, Zermatt, Matterhorn Glacier Paradise, Gornergrat Ridge and Zurich Historic District. We love regional cuisine in a beautiful setting PLUS we are wine lovers without substantial Swiss knowledge. Hopefully I have enough flexibility built into itinerary so we can modify because of bad weather. Appreciate your sharing your knowledge.

Arrive Zurich and purchase ticket to Lucerne, Will purchase 6-day first class STP. Will need to purchase the ticket from ZRH to Lucerne (outside of 6 days).

1. What does IR 75, for example, mean?

2. How do we know which cars are first class?

3. We want a STP hard copy as well as one in the cell phone. What seller do you recommend? We want to purchase in the next few weeks.

4. Are the train terminals well marked so we can move rapidly with luggage between the different platforms? We will have several 6–7-minute time frames to contend with.

Staying at the Lucerne Hotel des Alpes.

1. Do we have enough time in the afternoon to cruise Lake and go up to Mt. Rigi? We have a morning Official Guided City Tour.

2. Do you have a preference between: Grotting, Restaurant Geissmatt, Bolero, Bellini Locanda Ticinese, Balances, Rathaus Braueres and Burgerstube? Are reservations required or advised?

Staying at the Belvedere in Grindelwald.

1. Want to visit Jungfraujoch via Eiger Express. Upon departure, to Wengen, Lauterbrunnen and then back to Grindelwald. The Eiger Express, etc. down to Wengen is covered by STP at 25% discount. Do I buy a separate ticket for the discounted portion and then just walk on for the portion covered by STP? I will admit that I am both amazed and confounded by the SBB website.

2. Do you have a preference between: Café 3692, Barrys Restaurant, Bar & Lounge? Lunch at either Wengen Restaurant Baren, Lauterbrunnen Restaurant Weidstubl versus Bergestaurant in Kleine Scheidegg?

Staying at the Julen Hotel in Zermatt.

1. Want to visit Matterhorn Glacier Paradise and Gornergrant Ridge one day. Stroll town.

2. Do you have a preference between: L’Atelier Grand Sire, Restaurant Julen and Bergrestaurant Blatten?

Staying at the Hilton Airport at ZRH.

1. Do you have a preference between: La Pasta, Restaurant Swiss Chuchi and Walliser Keller The Swiss Restaurant?

Thanks again for your help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    21 July 2022 at 19:03:18 #944624

A couple of things I can comment on…

Finding trains and having enough time is easy. I too was in your shoes on my first trip to Switzerland and once I saw how things were laid out regarding platform numbers and which trains are where it is very easy. A sign will say which train is on which platform… similar to the airport where it will say which airline flt is at which gate.

There will be signs at the platforms that will tell you which cars on the train will be 1st class. In the attached picture, you will see something similar for Swiss trains. Note the arrow points to a #1. This is the first class car. Other bits of info are train #, departure time and gate. Very easy once you get the lay of the land so to speak.

Regarding your stay at Julen Hotel in Zermatt. I stayed there as well and found it to be great! We were on half board so we ate all our meals there so have nothing to compare it with but the food we had for breakfast and dinner was really good. And there wines were great as well. If we ever return, that’s where we’d stay. And in case you didn’t know, they’ll send a little hotel taxi to pick you up if you give them your arrival info. (gratis)

I hope that helps with some of your questions.

EASW
    Participant
    122 posts
    22 July 2022 at 0:03:22 #944625

Hello Duck! Out of all the restaurants you mentioned, we ate at two—Rathaus Braueres in Luzern and Bergestaurant in Kleine Scheidegg. The Rathaus Braueres was our first dinner in Switzerland and our favorite meal in Luzern. No reservation necessary; we picked a table by the river and ended up sharing it with a nice couple from Portugal. Great food and great service! Bergestaurant in Kleine Scheidegg was also good and very convenient to the train station.

Also wanted to add that you that the cars on the trains have either a 1or 2 on them, designating first or second class. Very easy to see.

Anna
    6362 posts
    22 July 2022 at 11:44:08 #944626

Hi Duck,

Thanks for sharing your itinerary. Looks great and very detail!

1. IR 75 is the name and type of train. But don’t worry about this. The most important details are the platform no and time of departure. You can find these on the timetable and also on the information board at the train station.

2.1st class have the number 1 displayed on the carriages, as explained by pkerr in his post.

3. When you purchase the Swiss Travel Pass online, you will be sent a PDF document which you can print at home, or an e-ticket that you can download to your smartphone, as explained here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/howtouse. You can purchase the STP online from https://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/price.

4. Yes, the platforms are numbered and most have ramp access or lifts for easy luggage transfer. You can find more information on how to travel with Swiss trains here: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/howtotravel

Staying at the Lucerne Hotel des Alpes.
    1. A round trip to Mt Rigi with the train to Arth-Goldau and then boat from Vitznau usually requires the whole day. If you have limited time, taking the train to Rigi and back is faster. Alternatively, you can do the Golden Roundtrip to Pilatus which is doable as a half day excursion – take a boat from Lucerne to Alpnachstad, then cogwheel to Pilatus Kulm. From Pilatus Kulm, take a cable car down to Kriens and then a short bus ride back to Lucerne.

2. I have no personal experience dining in these restaurants. I think reservations are recommended for a large group.

Staying at the Belvedere in Grindelwald.
    1. Yes, your understanding is correct. If you have a Swiss Travel Pass, the only ticket you need for the excursion to Jungfraujoch is for the portion between Grindelwald/Wengen and Jungfraujoch. The ticket covers the Eiger Express. You can purchase this discounted ticket here: shop.switzerlandtravelcentre.com/en/overview/excursion.

Staying at the Julen Hotel in Zermatt.
    1. Yes, it’s possible to combine a trip to Gornergrat and the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise in one day. I would do Gornergrat in the morning and Glacier Paradise later in the day. You can purchase the tickets online here: shop.switzerlandtravelcentre.com/en/overview/excursion.

Let us know if you need more information.

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘1 week Lucerne-Grindelwald-Zermatt in September’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.