10 days In Zurich and Interlaken- itinerary help

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2017 at 21:59:27 #812584

Hello everyone, firstly id like to thanks the moderators and the travelers for all the help they generously provide!

so ill be travelling to Switzerland on the 13th of July.. we land in the afternoon.. to Zurich.. and have our accommodation booked at a hotel already.

we are two couples with a 10 month old baby and a 4 year old child.

we will be living in interlaken from the 17th of July.

also we have already purchased an 8 day travel pass and rented a car from the 17th of July.

The itinerary is as follows..

13th- Lake Zurich

14th-Rhine falls and Zurich city tour

15th- Mount Pilatus and Lucerne

16th- mount rigi

17th-Girls go to jungfrau and the guys go to interlaken by car with th luggage

18th- boys go to jungfrau and we chill at interlaken

19th- Chocolate train to montreux

20th- Harder Kulm, Lake Brienz, Brunngasse

21st–Bern- Bear pit aaṛe river, its in the same spot. Zytglogge- clock tower,bundesplatz are close by.

22nd- Castle and Lake Thun

23rd- Home Bound

i would want to know if this itinerary is okay? Are we covering it all?

also the forecast says rain the next few days.. so now I’m worried about our mount pilatus and mount rigi trips.. will it even be worth it?

also is there a ticket to the thun castle? Or is it free?

whats else should I see in luzern?

thanks a ton.. waiting for a reply.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2017 at 8:48:52 #866620

Hi Lizzy89 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

It seems like a good itinerary to me – not too busy each day, which leaves you open to changes on the fly! You certainly are not covering it all – you would need months to do that!

If you want to see all the main attractions around various Swiss towns, you can find those details here. Click on the town you want and then the What to Do tab.

You can always wait until the day you want to go up a mountain to decide whether it is worth going (if it is raining or cloudy, for example, it may not be worth going as the views would be poor).

I’m curious why you bought an 8 day Swiss Travel Pass(is that the pass you bought?) and rented a car?

The Thun castle is free with a valid Swiss Travel Pass. Note your 8 year old needs a Swiss Family Card to also get free travel and free museum entrances. This is normally ordered at the same time as the Swiss Travel Pass, but if you didn’t get that yet you can pick it up at any staffed SBB rail office in Switzerland (it is free).

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2017 at 12:49:53 #866621

Hi Lucas,

thanks for your prompt reply.

we have a 4 year old and not 8 year old with us 🙂 I’m assuming he travels free anyway.

we have booked the travel pass from the 13th.. and rented the car from the 17th as we will be moving to interlaken from Zurich with a lot of luggage. Just to make it a little more convenient with my 10 month old baby.

I also wanted to know what it costs to get a sim card and what mobile carrier would be best for 10 days.

i was also hoping to do the rope park at Frakmuntegg near pilatus.. can I take my infant along there?

also would you recommend going to Titlis with my infant?

i will be doing the chocolate train which is in montreux . And it finished by 5pm. Is the the jet deau close by? By what time do things shut in montreux?

are there flea markets in Zurich or elsewhere?

sorry for the massive list of questions, and thanks again!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2017 at 16:55:03 #866622

Ah! I don’t know where I saw 8 year old! haha Both are indeed free.

We have some details about SIM cards here for you to check out.
    You could take your infant to the rope park…do you mean take him/her on a backpack with you in it? I’m not so sure about that. The 4 year old will love it.

Mt. Titlis is at 3000 meters which can cause issues for infants sometimes – I would talk to your doctor before going over 2000 meters on your trip.

The Jet d’Eau is in Geneva which is about 1.5 hours by train from Montreux. It does operate in the evenings in the summer but I’m not sure how late.

I don’t know of any Flea Markets in Zurich or anywhere – none that I have seen here anyway.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2017 at 17:52:37 #866623

Thanks Lucas!

You’ve been of great help!

cheers x

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 July 2017 at 3:21:05 #866624

Hi Lizzy,

While not officially endorsed by MySwissAlps, if you are looking for a value SIM card, I reckon you can’t go past the Salt pre-pay SIM.

You pay CHF 10 for the SIM and it comes with CHF 20 credit. Hard to believe I know. Every day you use data they charge you CHF 2 so the initial CHF 10 purchase gives you 10 days hi-speed internet access (providing you don’t use up credits on phone calls and SMS).

You can find out details of the offer at shop.salt.ch/en/plans/ prepay/ (you need to cancel the 50% discount pop-up to see the real deal).

For more information see the “Communications” part of my recent trip report at http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-reluctant-travellers-swiss-adventure

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2017 at 7:12:49 #866625

Hi Rockoyster!

that indeed sounds unbelievable!

Is that unlimited internet for that price?

can I purchase it from the airport itself?

thanks a ton!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 July 2017 at 7:37:19 #866626

Hi Lizzy

You wrote: Is that unlimited internet for that price?

There is a notional limit of 10Gb/day so to all intents and purposes, yes unlimited.

and: can I purchase it from the airport itself?

Indeed you can – see http://www.zurich-airport.com/passengers -and-visitors/shopping-and-attractions/storefinde r-en?id=1291

Happy surfing (in moderation)

ps I am not on a commission 🤓

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2017 at 8:23:44 #866627

Perfect! I guess I will have internet then 😂.

Thanks again! X

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2017 at 11:21:41 #866628

Another quick question.. can I carry chicken patties (frozen packaged foods)?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2017 at 12:36:59 #866629

Hi Lizzy89,

Do you mean on the airplane coming to Switzerland?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2017 at 12:40:24 #866630

Yes ues

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2017 at 16:17:09 #866631

We have some links on our website here, about import and export.

From what I understand (https://www.ezv.admin. ch/ezv/en/home/informa tion-individuals/animals-and-plants/animals–animalproducts-and-protection-of-species–cites-.html) bringing meat itno Switzerland from outside the EU is not allowed.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2017 at 16:53:10 #866632

Hey Lucas,

yes I’ve been doing some digging too.. I presume is going to be troublesome.. so we wont be carrying any.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 July 2017 at 21:28:01 #866633

WOW Lizzy, they must be some exceptional patties to feel the need to import them! 😉

Intrigued.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2017 at 11:06:07 #866634

@rockoyster

Ohh they definitely are.. Made by me! 😁

• The thread ‘10 days In Zurich and Interlaken- itinerary help’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.