The Titlis is a mountain in Central Switzerland, to be reached by a revolving cable car. At 3032 m, you can enjoy the eternal snow and the beautiful views. This is an ideal trip if you have kids who want to play in the snow.
The forum allows you to post your questions and discuss your plans.
Attraction type: Natural site, Mountain top, By cable car
Escort: independent (no guide)
Region: Lake Lucerne (Central Switzerland)
Duration: 1 day or less
What is the Titlis?
The Titlis is a high mountain and viewing point. The cable car to the Titlis departs from the town of Engelberg, about 45 minutes from Lucerne. The last section of the cable car features a revolving cable car, allowing you to enjoy the views all around.
Activities at the Titlis
This is what to expect once you have reached the Titlis:
- There's an amazing view of a high-alpine world of rocks and snow.
- In summer, the 'Ice Flyer' chairlift allows you to 'fly' over the glacier and see it up close. The fare is not included in standard cable car tickets to the Titlis. The lift takes you to the Glacier Park, where you can play in the snow using snow tubes, sledges and more. This is the place to go to for guaranteed snow. There is often snow at other places at the top too, but not always as the climate is getting warmer.
- In winter, a snow park is located at the mid-station Trübsee instead. The Ice Flyer is operational too, but it brings you to higher ski pistes instead. Apart from the fun activities in the snow park, you can enjoy skiing, winter walking and snowshoe hiking.
- You can take a walk into the Glacier Cave, a tunnel in the ice of the glacier.
- The Titlis Cliff Walk is a spectacular suspension bridge of over 100 metres long.
- There are shops and restaurants.
Activities at mid-station Trübsee
In winter, there's a snow fun park here. In summer, you can enjoy other activities:
- Several hiking trails start or end at the mid station of the cable car, Trübsee. You can walk to the Trübsee and combine that with a visit to the Titlis.
- In the Trübsee Adventure park can enjoy the zipline, trampoline or bag jump.
- The small lake can be explored from a rowing boat.
- There's an adventure playground with treasure hunt for children.
- You can descend to the Titlis valley station in Engelberg with scooter bikes.
Check the weather forecast, as there's no point in going up if the Titlis is covered in clouds. Dress in multiple thinner layers so that you can adapt to the different temperatures throughout the day. It can be very windy at the top. Take along gloves, sun glasses and perhaps a winter sports hat. Solid shoes help too.
Allow at least two hours to visit the Titlis. This does not include the time to get there. It's either a day trip or half a day trip, depending on your departure time and pace.
The Titlis station is located at an altitude of 3032 m. Anyone can suffer from (light) altitude sickness from about 2000 m. Usually it helps to take things slow and sit down for a while. Special precautions apply to children under 2 years old, as well as people who are pregnant or in poor health: before visiting areas over 2500 m, you'd better consult your doctor. In most cases staying at such altitudes for just a few hours is no problem.