11 days around Valais and the Bernese Oberland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 July 2017 at 19:22:12 #812757

Our family of 4 travelled from Lincolnshire, England with a caravan to Camping Gemmi near Leuk. A trip that took about 12 hours to complete with a stopover in mid-France. We had purchased 4 x 8 day fixed Swiss Travel Passesso nearly all my driving was done for the next 8 days! Each day we drove 5 mins to Leuk Railway Station, paid 5CHF for 24 hours parking and used the Train. Combining that with buses, boats and some cable cars it has to be the best way to travel around Switzerland. Another great benefit of the STP is discounts on many cable cars and railways. Download the SBB app on your phone and it is nearly faultless. I won’t going into detail of each day but will summarize the itinerary we used.

Day 1 Montreuxand Chateau Chillon

Day 2 Schynige Platte and Harder Kulm

Day 3 Zermatt & the Matterhorn via Gornegrat Railway

Day 4 Klein Matterhorn

Day 5 Lucerne and Mt. Pilatus

Day 6 Mittelallalin

Day 7 Golden Pass Trip and Pilatus again (foggy first time)

Day 8 Schilthorn and Trummelbach Falls

I had to drive for the following days

Day 9 Nufenen, St Gottards and Furka Passes (on Furka from sun to a white out of hail in 10 mins)

Day 10 Pyramids of Eugine and Grand Dix Dam

Day 11 Aletcha Glacier

We had some early starts but there is plenty of time to sleep when you’re dead!

This website was a wealth of info and help and made planning so much easier. So if you are going to Switzerland, use MySwissAlps.com and make up an itinerary.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 July 2017 at 8:18:49 #867441

Hi Archer,

Thanks for writing up your trip report for our website – always appreciated!

It sounds like you had a great trip here – I agree trains etc. are the way to go here!

Lucas

Mageo
    Participant
    63 posts
    27 July 2017 at 22:31:53 #867442

Hello Archer,

Thanks for your report. It’s always interesting hearing of different places to visit. We hadn’t heard before of the Grand Dix Dam, so we did a bit of research. Did you find it a worthwhile place to visit?

Mageo

• The thread ‘11 days around Valais and the Bernese Oberland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.