11 days itinerary for a first timer in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 July 2019 at 19:29:05 #822631

Hello. Would love to hear your thoughts on an initial itinerary I’ve come up with. Thank you so much in advance.**Day 1-4, travelling with a friend; while Day 4-11, travelling with family including kids aged 7 and 11. Hence instead of travelling from Zermatt to Interlakken, I still need to go back to Lausanne to meet my family.

Some thoughts:

1) Do advise if the trip is doable or if you have any recommendations.

2) From Day 5 onwards, is the itinerary okay with kids?

3) I know Switzerland is all about the mountains – but I didn’t want to overdo it also. Is it too much mountains?

4) I’m getting a swiss train pass (15 days). Is there any other transpo that I should book in advance?

Thank you very much in advance!

Arrive in Geneva.

Day 1: Montreux, Chillon Castle, Vevey. Overnight in Lausanne.

Day 2: Zermatt Town. Maybe a hike? Overnight in Zermatt.

Day 3: Glacier Paradise. Overnight in Zermatt.

Day 4: Lausanne Town. Overnight in Lausanne.

Day 5: Gruyeres, Broc (with luggages/can leave in Bulle). Overnight in Interlakken.

Day 6: Jungfrajoch, Wengen, Grindelwald. Overnight in Interlakken

Day 7: Lake Brienz. Overnight in Interlakken

Day 8: Lauterbrunnen, Mürren and Schilthorn. Then overnight in Lucerne.

Day 9: Lucerne City. Overnight in Lucerne

Day 10: Mt Pilatus. Toboggan. Overnight in Lucerne

Day 11: Travel to Zurich. Spend the day in Zurich before flight at 7pm.

Depart from Zurich, 7pm

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Shroffchetan
    Participant
    255 posts
    4 July 2019 at 1:35:41 #916846

1) you have come with nice itinerary. You need to put sightseeing in few places

2) Yes it is Ok with kids. On mountain tops there are a lot of activities. Pl visit their website

3) no. Your itinerary is a good mix. Switzerland is a paradise for nature lovers

4) Swiss travel pass will be a great option

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2019 at 6:02:56 #916847

Thank you very much, Shroffchetan! That’s really good to hear!Any recommended sightseeing that I can add in?

Shroffchetan
    Participant
    255 posts
    4 July 2019 at 6:28:45 #916848

Hi

You need to do research a bit on your own. For example pl see for lucerne

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne/activities

Myswissalps.com has detailed information on the sightseeing options and route

jatinsmehta
    Participant
    114 posts
    4 July 2019 at 7:19:43 #916849

Hi Yevka :

On Day 4, you should Lavaux vineyards if its summer or autumn

Annika
    7124 posts
    4 July 2019 at 15:19:15 #916850

Hi Yevka! Your itinerary is pretty ambitious, as you’ll be moving from town to town quite a lot and you’ll have only a few days to explore each area. This means you’re not very flexibile in terms of weather conditions either. On the other hand, if you aim to see a lot of Switzerland and like the idea of traveling around, your plan is fine and definitely doable!

I don’t think you can overdo the mountain visits. They’re all different in terms of transportation, views and the overall experience.

The 15 day Swiss Travel Pass is a good choice: myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/price. You don’t have to pre-book transportation. The only thing you could consider is to reserve seats for your Jungfraujoch visit, especially if you’re traveling in July and August when it can get crowded. Do so shortly before though, once you know weather is good enough to get up and enjoy the views: myswissalps.com/jungfr aujoch/packages.

• The thread ‘11 days itinerary for a first timer in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.