15 day Swiss plans: Wengen, Cully, Zermatt, Weggis

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2018 at 8:25:53 #816345

All booked up but would appreciate must do’s in each area to make the most of our trip and does it all sound ok? We have a 15day STP. Thanks in advance.

Day 1 arrive in Basel see the city and stay the night.

Day 2 leave Basel for a four night stay in Wengen, we are thinking of stopping off at Bern for a few hours on the way. We plan to pre book Schilthorn but miss out Jungfraujoch (because of cost), Trummelbach falls. also spend a day in Interlaken.

Day 6 take Golden pass line from Interlaken to Montreaux, (we have reserved seats) then stay in Cully for 3 nights. Visit Geneva, Chillon Castle

Day 9 leave Cully for a 3 night stay in Zermatt . Do Gornergrat, Matterhorn Glacier paradise, see Zermatt.

Day 12 Leave Zermatt for 4 nights in Weggis. Visit Lucerne, my Rigi, Burgenstock, Vitznau! maybe go to Zurich for a day trip.

is it worth booking the Glacier express either to Andermatt or Chur when going from Zermatt to Weggis. ?

I probably should point out we are not looking for a heavy hiking holiday, we like great views, cities, architecture, some lakeside eating and drinking and a bit of walking as well.

Thanks Den.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2018 at 12:43:00 #886910

Hi Den,

Yes, you can travel on the Glacier Express route (either on the panoramic train itself or on a regional train) to Andermatt (Chur is too far out of your way) and then switch onto the Gotthard Panoramic Express route to Flüelen and then on to Weggis. Regional trains do not require reservations.

If you want to reserve on a panoramic train on either route look here:
    https://www.myswissalp s.com/glacierexpress/p ackages
    https://www.myswissalp s.com/gotthardpanorama express/packages

For ideas on what to do in the Jungfrau Region (Wengen), The Valais (Zermatt) and Lake Geneva (Cully) look here:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2018 at 8:50:44 #886911

Thanks for your reply Lucas, I had a look and it seems I would have to get the Gothard express at Goschenen and It would only be a half hour from there to fluelen so we will probably just take regular train from Zermatt to Lucerne and get boat to Weggis, as we will be staying theer we can take a boat trip anytime.

Den

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2018 at 13:46:17 #886912

HI Den,

Yes, you can either take a fast train via Visp and Bern (and taking a long tunnnel) in about 3.5 hours

OR you can take regional trains on the same route as the panoramic express trains but this adds 2+ hours to your trip (but much more scenic).

You can travel via Göschenen (Gotthard line) or via Kandersteg (Lötschberg line) – both routes are very scenic and both follow the Glacier Express route to Visp/Brig at least.

Play with the Swiss railways timetable to find the schedule to best suit your needs: https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

Happy travels!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2018 at 14:53:10 #886913

Thanks again, I will do some searching on SBB site.

Den

• The thread ‘15 day Swiss plans: Wengen, Cully, Zermatt, Weggis’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.