15 day Swiss plans: Wengen, Cully, Zermatt, Weggis

15 day Swiss plans: Wengen, Cully, Zermatt, Weggis

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Magicden
Magicden
21 posts
May 31, 2018 - 8:25 AM

All booked up but would appreciate must do's in each area to make the most of our trip and does it all sound ok? We have a 15day STP. Thanks in advance.

Day 1 arrive in Basel see the city and stay the night.

Day 2 leave Basel for a four night stay in Wengen, we are thinking of stopping off at Bern for a few hours on the way. We plan to pre book Schilthorn but miss out Jungfraujoch (because of cost), Trummelbach falls. also spend a day in Interlaken.

Day 6 take Golden pass line from Interlaken to Montreaux, (we have reserved seats) then stay in Cully for 3 nights. Visit Geneva, Chillon Castle

Day 9 leave Cully for a 3 night stay in Zermatt . Do Gornergrat, Matterhorn Glacier paradise, see Zermatt.

Day 12 Leave Zermatt for 4 nights in Weggis. Visit Lucerne, my Rigi, Burgenstock, Vitznau! maybe go to Zurich for a day trip.

is it worth booking the Glacier express either to Andermatt or Chur when going from Zermatt to Weggis. ?

I probably should point out we are not looking for a heavy hiking holiday, we like great views, cities, architecture, some lakeside eating and drinking and a bit of walking as well.

Thanks Den.

Last modified on May 31, 2018 - 8:46 AM by Magicden
Lucas
Lucas
8012 posts
expert &
May 31, 2018 - 12:43 PM in reply to Magicden

Hi Den,

Yes, you can travel on the Glacier Express route (either on the panoramic train itself or on a regional train) to Andermatt (Chur is too far out of your way) and then switch onto the Gotthard Panoramic Express route to Flüelen and then on to Weggis. Regional trains do not require reservations.

If you want to reserve on a panoramic train on either route look here:
https://www.myswissalp s.com/glacierexpress/p ackages
https://www.myswissalp s.com/gotthardpanorama express/packages

For ideas on what to do in the Jungfrau Region (Wengen), The Valais (Zermatt) and Lake Geneva (Cully) look here:

Magicden
Magicden
21 posts
Jun 1, 2018 - 8:50 AM in reply to Lucas

Thanks for your reply Lucas, I had a look and it seems I would have to get the Gothard express at Goschenen and It would only be a half hour from there to fluelen so we will probably just take regular train from Zermatt to Lucerne and get boat to Weggis, as we will be staying theer we can take a boat trip anytime.

Den

Lucas
Lucas
8012 posts
expert &
Jun 1, 2018 - 1:46 PM in reply to Magicden

HI Den,

Yes, you can either take a fast train via Visp and Bern (and taking a long tunnnel) in about 3.5 hours

OR you can take regional trains on the same route as the panoramic express trains but this adds 2+ hours to your trip (but much more scenic).

You can travel via Göschenen (Gotthard line) or via Kandersteg (Lötschberg line) - both routes are very scenic and both follow the Glacier Express route to Visp/Brig at least.

Play with the Swiss railways timetable to find the schedule to best suit your needs: https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

Happy travels!

Magicden
Magicden
21 posts
Jun 1, 2018 - 2:53 PM in reply to Lucas

Thanks again, I will do some searching on SBB site.

Den

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018