15-day Swiss Travel Pass – upgrade to 1st class ?

• Ling_andy
    Participant
    10 posts
    7 March 2020 at 5:54:21 #825426

Help ! Have not yet purchased. Was trying to work out how I could pay for a route specific upgrade. It seems from what I have read that a STP gets discounted upgrades to 1st class but from the SBB app the drop down menu does not have an STP as an option. So…….how do I purchase these for two people ? On the app ( more convenient )? At the station ? On board ( whilst sitting in 1st class ) ?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6384 posts
    7 March 2020 at 7:04:51 #931240

Hi Ling andy,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

If you are travelling with a 2nd Class Swiss Travel Pass but want to travel 1st Class on a particular trip, you can buy a specific route class upgrade at any SBB station or using the SBB Mobile App (http://www.myswissalps.com/timetable). If you buy on line you need to nominate a Half-fare Card reduction to get the correct price. An upgrade costs half of the difference between the 2nd and 1st class fare for the route you wish to travel.

More info about the Swiss Travel Pass here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/price

Hope that helps.

Anna

Ling_andy
    Participant
    10 posts
    7 March 2020 at 7:23:06 #931241

Thanks Anna. As you have been most helpful 1) can the STP be stored on the app ( save paper ) ? 2) Can you screen shot me where in the app I can buy the upgrade ?

Anna
    6384 posts
    7 March 2020 at 8:09:00 #931242

Hi again Ling andy,

I think before you can store your railpass on the SBB mobile app, you need to set up a profile and be logged in when you buy the said railpass online.

But if you have a Swiss Travel Pass you don’t really need that since you won’t need to buy tickets to travel. I think having a PDF copy of your Swiss Travel Pass on your phone is good enough (http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/howtouse)

For a class upgrade on a specific route, you can just log in as a guest, select the route you wish to travel, then select the Half-Fare option to get a reduction. See attachment – Class Upgrade for Zurich – Interlaken, using a Swiss Half-Fare Card

Hope that helps.

Anna

Arno
    15484 posts
    7 March 2020 at 9:27:31 #931243

Hi Ling andy,

Anna is correct: the Swiss Travel Pass is delivered electronically and there’s no need to store it in the SBB app, nor is it possible. In case you’d like to purchase a class upgrade through the app, then you can best select “GA travelcard, 2nd class”. That’s the equivalent of the 2nd class Swiss Travel Pass, at least for domestic routes. Selecting the Half-Fare travelcard would result in the same price though.

• The thread ‘15-day Swiss Travel Pass – upgrade to 1st class ?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.