16 day Swiss train itinerary in early June

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2018 at 19:15:44 #815000

My husband and I are traveling with my college roommate and her husband (all mid 50’s to early 60’s) from the US to Switzerland at the beginning of June and are trying to see a large amount of Switzerland, but at the same time trying to account for weather conditions and some relaxation so that we are not on the trains ALL the time. We will be purchasing the 15 day consecutive Swiss Travel Pass which should cover us (save the routes requiring separate reservations) for all but our last day and hopefully we can find an easy way to the airport for that. We are flying in and out of Geneva as that was the best option for us. Thanks to this great website, I think we can plan our days well with excursions and tours and hiking, and we have laid out things to do in each area, but I would love some feedback on whether this itinerary makes sense from a logistics perspective given that we want to see a good portion of Switzerland. We are ok with moving around semi-frequently to see and do many things, but I cannot tell from the timetables if what I have put on paper is realistic. I originally had Appenzell in this itinerary, as an example, but could not decide if it made sense to go there from Wengen for a few days prior to Lucerne. Initially, I have removed it. I know we have to make hotel reservations and train reservations (where applicable) probably yesterday, so I would love any feedback on this custom itinerary and changes you think make sense. My husband and I are more outdoor hiking people, but my roommate and her husband are fine exploring different towns and taking day tours or sightseeing excursions on their own as well and meeting up for dinner. Many, many thanks in advance. If I have clearly made erroneous assumptions or are generally clueless, feel free to point that out and point me in a different direction.

• Day 1 arrive Geneva early evening and take train to Montreux. Sleep in Montreux.
    • Day 2 explore Montreux area. Sleep in Montreux.
    • Day 3 leave for Berner Oberland area via Golden Pass. Sleep in Wengen.
    • Day 4 explore/hike Berner Oberland area. Sleep in Wengen.
    • Day 5 explore/hike Berner Oberland area. Sleep in Wengen.
    • Day 6 explore/hike Berner Oberland area. Sleep in Wengen.
    • Day 7 leave early for Lucerne. Sleep in Lucerne.
    • Day 8 explore Lucerne. Sleep in Lucerne.
    • Day 9 explore Lucerne or areas such as Bern or Zurich as day trips (or perhaps do these when in Wengen). Sleep in Lucerne.
    • Day 10 boat, then train to Lugano along Gotthard Panorma Express. Sleep in Lugano.
    • Day 11 take Bernina Express to Pontresina area. Sleep in Pontresina or St. Moritz.
    • Day 12 explore Pontresina/St. Moritz area. Sleep in Pontresina or St. Moritz.
    • Day 13 take Glacier Express to Zermatt. Sleep in Zermatt.
    • Day 14 explore/hike Zermatt. Sleep in Zermatt.
    • Day 15 leave early for Lausanne, then later on to Geneva. Sleep in Geneva near airport.
    • Day 16 leave Geneva for home.
  • Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 March 2018 at 2:46:22 #880060

Hello Gracie(?) and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Looks pretty darn good to me. I wouldn’t change a thing (although I must say only 1 night in Lugano as a shame) . You can easily do a day trip to Appenzell. Decide on the fly – that’s the beauty of the Swiss Travel Pass. You have done your homework well.

We went the opposite direction but if you are interested my trip reports on Glacier Express, Gotthard and Bernina Express trips are at:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-reluctant-travellers-swiss-adventure-part-3

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-reluctant-travellers-swiss-adventure-part-6

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-reluctant-travellers-swiss-adventure-part4

And maybe for a taste of Lugano:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-reluctant-travellers-swiss-adventure-part-5

Happy travels 😎 🇦🇺

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2018 at 6:14:59 #880061

Looks nice indeed. 🙂

I would look at the Appenzell from Lucerne – take the Voralpen Express to St. Gallen. Or visit it from St.Moritz/Pontresina area. Either way a lovely trip.

I wrote a trip report about a recent day trip to St. Gallen & the Voralpen Express here. I also wrote a report last year on my trip to the Appenzell region and the Ebenalp – read here. 🙂

I would not try to do Zurich from Wengen – you’ll have lots to do there and it is a bit of a trip. If anything from Lucerne but I’d prefer to spend my time in Lucerne, in Lucerne rather than Zurich.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2018 at 21:27:57 #880062

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it. Can’t wait to read your trip reports!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2018 at 21:29:07 #880063

Just the information I needed. Thank you so very much for the help. I am so very excited about this trip! I will also look forward to reading your report.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 March 2018 at 14:49:24 #880064

Hi Gracie,

>> Day 10 boat, then train to Lugano along Gotthard Panorma Express. Sleep in Lugano.

If Day 10 happens to be a Monday, the Gotthard Panorama Express will not be running, but you can still follow the same route on normal trains.

>> Day 12 explore Pontresina/St. Moritz area. Sleep in Pontresina or St. Moritz.

I can’t tell when in June your Day 12 falls exactly, but June is a tricky time for mountain transport in the St Moritz/Pontresina area. Here are some details of mountain transport operating dates, that might help you make the best use of your time there:

• Diavolezza cable car – 7 May to 19 Oct 2018
    • Muottas Muragl funicular – 9 Jun to 21 Oct 2018
    • Pontresina-Alp Languard chairlift – 9 Jun to 21 Oct 2018
    • St. Moritz to Bad-Signal cable car – 9 Jun to 14 Oct 2018
    • Surlej/Silvaplana–Murtèl–Corvatsch cable car – 16 Jun to 19 Oct 2018
    • Celerina–Marguns gondola – 23 Jun to 14 Oct 2018
    • Sils Maria–Furtschellas (Prasüra) cable car – 23 Jun to 19 Oct 2018
    • St. Moritz–Chantarella–Corviglia–Piz Nair funiculars and cable car – 23 Jun to 21 Oct 2018

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 March 2018 at 2:48:12 #880065

Day 10 was a Monday! Early June travels so your information couldn’t have been more helpful. Saved me some major rework. Very much appreciated!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 March 2018 at 3:27:58 #880066

Hi Gracie,

>> Day 10 was a Monday!

You can follow exactly the same route on regional trains, and also include the boat sector. You will see the same scenery.

You would have to do two separate timetable searches to include the boat: one search for the boat sector, and another search for the train sector. As boat departures are less frequent, I would first choose the boat – from Luzern Bahnhofquai to Flüelen (See) – and then choose a train to connect with the boat at Flüelen (from Flüelen to Lugano via Göschenen). If you don’t put in “via Göschenen“, the timetable will generate the fastest route, which will be through the very long Gotthard-Basistunnel, and you will miss the scenery.

When searching for the boat trip, use advanced search and limit the “Transport type” to “Ship“. Ships are indicated in the timetable by BAT (ship) or BAV (steamship). For the train sector, expand your preferred connection to see the intermediate stops. If one of the intermediate stops is “Gotthard-Panoramastrecke” this confirms it is the Gotthard Panorama Express route, avoiding the Gotthard-Basistunnel.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘16 day Swiss train itinerary in early June’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.