Zurich is the largest city in Switzerland. There is a lot to see and do, including plenty of museums, luxury shopping in the Bahnhofstrasse and a lively town center with a wide choice of restaurants.
These are the hotels we suggest for your stay.
Rent an apartment or holiday home in or around Zurich.
Any questions left about Zurich? Feel free to post to the forum!
What to expect from Zurich?
Zurich is situated in the hills of Northern Switzerland, not in the Alps. Apart from sightseeing in town, it's a good base for day trips to Basel, Lucerne, the Rhine Fall in Schaffhausen and many other destinations in the north of Switzerland.
If you like city trips, Zurich offers enough to keep you busy for many days. The historic old town center is well worth a visit and can easily be explored on foot from the main rail station. Exclusive shopping can be done in the Bahnhofstrasse. There are a lot of art galleries and museums, several theaters and the Opera House. Fine dining is easy to find: there are hundreds of restaurants, including the world's first vegetarian restaurant, Haus Hiltl, opened in 1898.
Reasons to stay in Zurich
If you are planning a long vacation in Switzerland (e.g. two weeks or more), you can start with a day or two in Zurich if you're interested in culture, museums and city visits in general. Then proceed to the Alps to see the mountains.
If you have booked a late flight to Zurich or an early flight from Zurich, it makes sense to stay the night and explore the city for a couple of hours. You can find airport hotels here.
Reasons to skip Zurich
Zurich is not in the mountains. You can make many day trips in and around Zurich, but there are better places to stay if you want to see the Swiss Alps.
If you have limited time to see Switzerland, we recommend to go straight to the Alps: e.g. to nearby Lucerne or the Bernese Oberland.
What not to miss during your stay
The number of attractions and activities in Zurich is huge. We recommend to visit the Zurich Tourism website to see all options. Below are our suggestions to make your stay in Zurich a memorable one.
- Boat trip on Lake Zurich.
- Luxury shopping in the Bahnhofstrasse.
- Strolling in the old town center. Start from the main rail station and work your way south to the lakeside promenade. Be sure to include the pretty Augustinergasse, a side street of the Bahnhofstrasse. The nearby Lindenhof offers a beautiful view of the town center.
- Take a train up to the Uetliberg for a wide view across town.
More is here.
Off the beaten path
- Dining in a tram while doing a tour across Zurich.
- Zurich West is the former industrial district, which is now a modern trendy district with shops, ateliers and restaurants.
- The MFO Park near the Zurich Oerlikon train station is a former factory hall converted to a green park
- Dining in the dark