1st class Swiss Travel Pass worth extra money?

• mep1027
    Participant
    11 posts
    6 August 2022 at 13:55:49 #827991

Is it worth it to pay more for 1st class when purchasing the Swiss Travel Pass? In US dollars, it’s a difference of $684 for an 8-day pass for 6 of us. On the purchase site it says 1st class seats are larger, more luggage space, and generally less crowded but are those really the only differences?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6384 posts
    6 August 2022 at 14:08:24 #945258

Hi mep1027,

That’s right 1st class seats are larger and almost always less crowded. But 2nd class is no way less comfortable. It’s just that sometimes it’s difficult to get seats especially during peak travelling periods as most local commuters travel 2nd class. If you are travelling in a group, you might have to make seat reservation if you prefer to sit together.

You can find more information about the differences between 1st class and 2nd class here: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/2nd1stclass

Regards,

Anna

mep1027
    Participant
    11 posts
    6 August 2022 at 14:27:47 #945259

Thank you! Is it advantageous to buy our passes now for a March 2023 trip?

Anna
    6384 posts
    6 August 2022 at 14:38:31 #945260

Hi again,

I recommend getting your railpass after you have all your plans (itinerary , tickets, accommodation, etc) confirmed. Ideally a few weeks before your trip. You can purchase the Swiss Travel Pass easily online with instant delivery: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/price

Regards,

Anna

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    7 August 2022 at 17:58:34 #945261

Hi mep1027,

I had bought a 15 day Swiss Travel Pass, (2nd class, in 2018-Sept) and had no regrets what so ever. I did upgrade to first class on the Glacier Express from Chur to Zermatt, only because it was a six hour journey and thought it would be a more comfortable trip. I did bounce back and forth many times and ultimately went with the second class. I rode the Gotthard, the Bernina, and the Glacier Expresses, and again, I had no regrets at all in second class. Not sure when you’re traveling, but if its not in the busier season, I would go with the second class. Thats a big savings on your end and there is plenty of room for luggage and such (even in second class). Be it above, behind the seats, or in the storage area near the entrance of each car. Enjoy your trip, whichever you decide.

Danielsan

mep1027
    Participant
    11 posts
    7 August 2022 at 20:05:17 #945262

That’s all very helpful, thank you! We are traveling the last week of March.

• The thread ‘1st class Swiss Travel Pass worth extra money?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.