1st time Switzerland, pass Zurich&Berner Oberland

• DRoss
    Participant
    10 posts
    14 March 2016 at 2:48:24 #808611

I am going to spend 1 night in Zurich then head to the Berner Oberland area for 4 nights, and then onto Milan. I read up on the regional pass for the Berner Oberland area, but my question is this. Do I need to purchase a Swiss Pass to get from Zurich to the Berner Oberland area and then from there to Milan?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    14 March 2016 at 9:06:00 #849382

Hi DRoss, welcome to MySwissAlps!

If you have a 6 day Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland, it will be valid on the days of your inbound trip from Zurich and your outbound trip to Milan. In that case you only need additional tickets for the legs Zurich-Lucerne or Zurich-Bern and for Brig-Domodossola. These are relatively short and inexpensive distances, so no need to get an additional Swiss Travel Pass or other rail pass.

If you opt for a 4 day Regional-Pass, meaning it’s not valid during your inbound and outbound journeys, you can cover those with a Swiss Transfer Ticket.

Yet another option is the Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi. That will cover your inbound and outbound trips and provide a 50% discount on your trips in the Bernese Oberland. The coverage for this area isn’t as good as with the Regional-Pass though.

• The thread ‘1st time Switzerland, pass Zurich&Berner Oberland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.