2 days in Swiss Alps in middle Oct with parents

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2016 at 11:50:39 #810061

Hello

I am taking my parents to Swiss for a short 4 days break , arriving in the morning of 14th Oct (Friday) in Geneva and leaves from Geneva in the evening of 17th Oct (Monday).

My parents both like nature very much and admired the beauty of Swiss for a long long time. The focus is on the nature side of Swiss, lakes and mountains. the current plan is to take them to Montreux for the first night and then go to Swiss Alps for another 2 nights. on the last day, depends on the weather and how they feels , may stay a bit longer in the alps or may take them to visit Palais des Nations in Geneva.

Since we only stay for 2 nights in Alps , where will be the best place to stay ? i m currently looking at Lauterbrunnen but there are some websites says Murren or Grindelwald or Interlaken are more pretty. I am looking for the best feel on the nature side other than village (none of us likes shopping and we most likely will cook by ourselves as my mum currently has a quite strict diet requirements after operation), i have not been to any of the above towns so not sure which one fit my requires better. Also we won’t go hiking nor climbing the peaks. mostly just have a walk , embrace the beauty of the nature. We will rent a car and drive.

Any recommendation is welcome 🙂

Much appreciated

Sara

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

ingie71
    Participant
    4 posts
    8 September 2016 at 13:38:49 #855811

Hi Sara,

I go to Grindelwald every summer, for the past 6 years, and still love it there. I think it doesn’t matter if you would stay in either Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald, because in 2 days you can visit both since these two villages are not far apart. You could even take one of the trains and enjoy the surroundings.

Interlaken is a bigger city and if you go to the Alps for enjoying nature, I would not go to Interlaken. Staying in Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald would also give you the possibility of visiting Murren, it’s in the same valley as Lauterbrunnen is.

Have a great stay here, it is my favourite part of Switzerland!

Ingrid

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2016 at 13:47:49 #855812

Thanks Ingrid ! Since my mum is not fit to travel intensively I am looking for a place that she can enjoy the Alps at the door step . On this perspective , which place you would think the best for us ?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    8 September 2016 at 19:15:22 #855813

Hi Sara-

<<“My parents both like nature very much and admired the beauty of Swiss for a long long time. The focus is on the nature side of Swiss, lakes and mountains.”>>

Please note the Swiss is an adjective in English. Even the the name of the country in French and German is la Suisse or die Schweiz, in English, the name is Switzerland.

<<“On this perspective , which place you would think the best for us ?”>>

Wengen. 😉

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

Grindelwald has good views too, but is too commercial for my tastes.

From Wengen, on the dates that you will be there, take the cableway ( die Luftseilbahn) from Wengen, Wengiboden (in the center of the village) up to Männlichen. Station stop is Männlichen LWM. Runs every 20 minutes. Not real late in the day, however.

See attached images. (one picture is taken from the small peak that looks down on Männlichen, which is shown in a different image from very near the Männlichen LWM lift station).

Get off and have lunch and look around. You can also go up there from Grindelwald Grund.

Use the timetable to keep track of travel options.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Slowpoke

ingie71
    Participant
    4 posts
    8 September 2016 at 20:45:02 #855814

In that case I would say Grindelwald because of the surrounding mountains like the Eiger and Jungfrau. If your mother is able to get to the station, you have the possibility of taking the Wengener bahn to Kleine Scheidegg and enjoy the view up there. You can even take this train to Wengen and enjoy the view of the Lauterbrunnen valley too without having to walk a lot. I’m sure your parents will love it there.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    8 September 2016 at 23:14:13 #855815

Hi Ingie71 –

Welcome to My Swiss Alps

Perhaps you did not notice the view of the Jungfrau in the shots of the LBV from Wengen? 😉

Wengen is well know for that vista. Most hotels are sited to have rooms that face the Jungfrau ( for a slight extra charge, of course. After all, it is Switzerland. 😉

Slowpoke.

ingie71
    Participant
    4 posts
    9 September 2016 at 5:50:09 #855816

Hi Slowpoke,

I am well known with the view in that area, since I visit every summer. It is my opinion that staying in Grindelwald gives you a wider view on the surrounding (famous) mountains and that the view from Wengen is less interesting when you have only 1 or 2 days to visit this part of the Alps. As you point out, the hotels face the Jungfrau, but the Eiger and Monch are less or not visible from Wengen.

I am only trying to give Sara the best advice I can. Of course everyone has an opinion of their own, so if you think Wengen is a better choice than Grindelwald it is your opinion 🙂

Ingrid

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 September 2016 at 8:42:41 #855817

HI Ingrid –

Your point is well taken.

I remember my first visit to Grindelwald and that wide and all encompassing view. As you say, everyone has their favorites, and your suggestion matches the needs expressed quite well.

I hope that all of us have many more chances to look for a long time at all of those views.

Slowpoke

ingie71
    Participant
    4 posts
    9 September 2016 at 11:25:06 #855818

I totally agree to that :-). Can’t wait to go again…..

Ingrid

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 September 2016 at 17:43:41 #855819

Hi Saraye-

<<” We will rent a car and drive.”>>

I just noted this comment.

Most of the Jungfrau region is car free.

You can drive as far as Grindelwald, or Lauterbrunnen (very large garage) and I believe to Stechelberg.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘2 days in Swiss Alps in middle Oct with parents’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.