2 days in Switzerland in mid April 2018

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 February 2018 at 14:15:23 #814246

Hi everyone,

We will be traveling from Germany with rented car to Switzerland in mid April. We will be arriving at Zurich by 14th Apr early morning and will be heading back to Germany by car on 15th Apr night due to work.

We would like to have a natural scenic trip, mountain snow view if possible. Will there still be snow in mid of April? Will it be very rush if we want to based in Lauterbrunnen then travel to Jungfraujoch? Or it will be better to stay in Lucerne, and travel within Mt. Rigi or Mt. Pilatus since we have limited time. And what will be the traveling option,by train?

If all the above are unlikely to make it, could you please advise whats the best itinerary for such short period? Thank you!

My rough plan is as follows:

Day 1 (Saturday)

0800 Arrived Zurich airport

1000 Go for short city tour by car

1400 Drive to Lauterbrunnen

Stay in Wengen/Murren/Interlaken??

Day 2 (Sunday)

0900 Train to Jungfraujoch via Lauterbrunnen

1000 Arrive Jungfraujoch

1400 come down from Jungfraujoch then prepare to go back Germany

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 February 2018 at 16:02:26 #875603

Hi Shanice and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Your itinerary seems reasonable – much too short of course but that can’t be helped!

So are you arriving by plane then but keeping the rental car to go into Germany on Sunday? There is no need to travel by car in Switzerland – use the trains to go everywhere (check out train schedules to get around here). I’m not sure I see any point in a car tour in Zurich (or a tour at all based on your short time here). Go straight to Lauterbrunnen.

For just one overnight in the Jungfrau Region (and especially of you have a car) I’d stay in Lauterbrunnen for simplicity (Wengen and Mürren or car-free so you have to train or take a cable car to get to them).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 February 2018 at 12:07:20 #875604

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for your advise!

I’ll be traveling by plane but my spouse will be picking me up from Zurich airport with his rented vehicles since he is driving from Germany. So we will have the car with us until Sunday.

Looking at it might be very rush to go over to Lauterbrunnen as we will need 4 hours drive back to Germany. We are now looking at staying over in Lucerne, then probably we go up to one of the mountain. My question is are they still snow in Mt Rigi/Mt Titlis or Mt Pilatus by that time? We are desperately to see snow view. I saw some post the cogwheel train might be closed at that time and it really depends on weather. The “Golden Round Trip” on Pilatus will not available in April because

part of it is the cog railway going up Pilatus and that doesn’t start

running for the summer season until May?

Looking forward for your reply.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 February 2018 at 16:48:30 #875605

Hi Shanice,

Mt. Titlis has snow all year round. At Mt. Pilatus there may still be some snow, but that depends on the spring weather.

The Gondola from Engelberg to Mt. Titlis is operating. You can still go to Mt. Pilatus but it is only accessible from Kriens by gondolas and cable car. The cogwheel train Alpnachstad-Pilatus Kulm will reopen some time in the first half of May.

• The thread ‘2 days in Switzerland in mid April 2018’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.