20 days in Switzerland- July 2018 itinerary help

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 October 2017 at 20:59:35 #813476

Hello everyone

My husband and I are travelling from Tasmania, Australia in July 2018, travelling Switzerland by train

This is our itinerary, would someone be so kind to have a look at it.

1. arrive Zurich and stay overnight

2. Head to Meiringen and stay 2 nights

3. Murren 2 nights

4. Berne 2 nights

5. Pampigny 2 nights

6. Montreaux 1 night

7. Zermatt 2 nights – glacier express

8. St Moritz 2 nights – Bernina express

9. Lugano 2 nights

10. Lucerne 1 night

11. St Gallen 2 nights

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 October 2017 at 22:14:47 #870804

Hi Kym,

We made a similar trip from Tassie in May/June this year. We preferred to not change towns so regularly so had 5 nights in Lugano, Luzern and Konstanz (where we have family).

You will enjoy Switzerland no matter your itinerary but you might think about giving yourself a bit more time in Luzern. Great town and lots to see/do.

My multi-part trip report starts at http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-reluctant-travellers-swiss-adventure if you feel like a little light reading with an Aussie flavour.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 October 2017 at 0:55:16 #870805

Thanks Rockoyster.

We love Lucerne, have been there before!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 October 2017 at 1:14:01 #870806

Hi Kymoo7-

Since you have experience in Switzerland, yo have surely planned based on that knowledge.

You have not given us any perspective on why you wish to visit various places or what you would like to do.

If your objective is to touch a lot of different places for a day each, you will achieve it.

However, I tend to spend a few day each in fewer locations…based on what I like to see and do…hike, boat rides, eat, see mountains, train rides, etc.

If you have such objectives, let us know.

Otherwise, go for it!

By the way, I really enjoy Skt. Gallen. Eat at Weinstube zum Baümli.

http://www.weinstube-baeumli.ch/

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 October 2017 at 1:34:52 #870807

Thanks Slowpoke!

We travelled to Lucerne on a train journey between Italy and Belgium and loved it. So very limited experience of Switzerland.

In Mierigen – walk Aare Gorge and Reichenback falls

Muerren – The Murrenbach Falls, Schilthorn, Harder Klum

Berne – explore Berne

Pampigmy – explore Mollens, L’isle and Morges

Montreux – Chillion Castle

Zermatt – Matterhorn, Upper Gorner Gorge and catch Glacier Express

St Moritz – bernina express

Lugano – Bellizona, Lake, Mont Bre or San Salvatore

Lucern – rest

St Gallan

What do you think?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 October 2017 at 2:14:08 #870808

Hi Kym,

Take the Gotthard Panorama Express from Lugano to Luzern if you have time. The boat ride from Flüelen to Luzern is great. See http://www.myswissalps.com/go tthardpanoramaexpress

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 October 2017 at 5:09:04 #870809

Thanks Rock oyster, I just read your post. Your trip sounded fabulous. We too have used booking.com because of the convenience of free cancellation and breakfast included in price. Will take on board your thoughts re too many moves.

Cheers

Kym

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 October 2017 at 6:57:21 #870810

Hi Kym-

Breakfast is included in the price of almost all Swiss hotels. If you check the rates in the ad for a hotel, or int offer that they make when you ask about a reservation, it will usually be listed. “The rate includes…..free wi-fi… breakfast buffet….TV….” The exceptions are many of the very expensive hotels and the very cheapest. And, happily, some hotels do not have TV.

Quality and variety at breakfast varies considerably. Some inns are well known for generous breakfast buffet.

When I used to travel on business, I found it annoying that the rather expensive hotel (with 4 SHA stars) on the waterfront that our Geneva laboratory used for visitors charged extra for breakfast. If I am booking an inexpensive inn, I double check on that. I have not stayed at hostels. Normally I book at hotels or inns with at least 2 stars , and usually 3 in the SHA rating system, and I have not had to pay for breakfast for 15 years. Over 37 years of travel to Switzerland, about a half a dozen times, when I have had to leave very early in the morning, the cost of a breakfast has been deducted voluntarily from my room cost.

The SHA – Swiss Hotel Association – rates hotels based on amenities, not cleanliness, which is assumed in all classes. Also assumed in any class is that the equipment and facilities all work perfectly.They have list of items that their inspectors check out on surprise visits.

http://www.hotelleriesuisse.c h/files/pdf8/Kriterien katalog_Normen_2015_20 20_CH_en1.pdf

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 October 2017 at 7:10:36 #870811

Did you get a chance to look at our list of things we wish to do?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 October 2017 at 7:55:26 #870812

Hi Kym,

I too would try and stay in the towns a little longer. Switzerland isn’t too big and perhaps day trips to some areas would be ok?

For example, stay in Pampigny or Montreux or Lausanne and explore the area/other towns from one town before moving on to Zermatt?

St. Gallen is nice but not as popular with tourists (at least on their first visit here). Anything in particular there you want to see/do? Not that it isn’t worth a visit (and if there is something there you want then by all means go) but I might skip it and add those nights elsewhere.

You can use the Swiss railways timetable (after October 18, when next years schedule is released) to plan out all your trips.

For an overview of rail pass options for Switzerland click here.

Let us know if you have any questions on schedules or rail passes (there are alot!)

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 October 2017 at 7:57:56 #870813

Hi Kym

<<“Did you get a chance to look at our list of things we wish to do?”>>

I did. I note the list of places you wish to explore or see, but don’t understand whether you have any special preferences for hiking, museums, concerts, special restaurants, etc.

I note the scenic trains. You might consider the mountain train up to Rochers de Naye from Montreux.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ro chersdenaye

There is nothing in your list that causes me to offer special comments, except about the region around Pampigny. (Note the spelling).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Pampigny

It is not a common tourist destination. Could you comment on why you chose that location?

This is the only special event currently listed by My Switzerland in Pampigny:

http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-us/service-updates/events/event-509205854.html

I used to walk in the region around Morges, l’Isle, Apples, and Cossonay, when I was taking a short break from staying and working in Geneva. The train from Morges to Apples has a really nice view of Vufflens- le- Chateau on the shortly after you leave Morges, and a hiking trail goes close by the chateau. We did stay once in Apples in about 2005 at the Auberge de la Couronne. Good kitchen. No elevator.

The region offers pleasant walking, but offers nothing special or distinctive in my memories. There is an excellent restaurant in Cossonay , le Cerf, with 2 Michelin stars if you include that sort of thing in your special interests.

Harder Kulm is close to Interlaken, and is accessible before or after your visit to the Lauterbrunnen Valley and Mürren. Perhaps you would also like to see the other well known falls in the LBV?

http://www.world-of-waterfalls.com/europe-murrenbach-falls.html

The correct spelling is Meiringen, not Mieringen. They are pronounced differently.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 October 2017 at 8:16:22 #870814

Hi Lucas-

<<“St. Gallen is nice but not as popular with tourists (at least on their first visit here). Anything in particular there you want to see/do? Not that it isn’t worth a visit (and if there is something there you want then by all means go) but I might skip it and add those nights elsewhere.”>>

I and my family have enjoyed several visits to St. Gall, with the UNESCO World heritage Abbey and library the most famous feature. The Old Town is one of the nicer ones.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Abbey_of_Saint_Gall

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Abbey_library_of_Saint _Gall

The history goes back to the Irish missionary Gallus and the abbey was founded in 747.

Next time you are over in the Ostschweiz, visit the Weinstube zum Baümli that I linked above in this thread. Really old, really Swiss, really charming, good food.

Although the tourist density is high, Stein am Rhein is worth a look out that way, too.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 October 2017 at 8:20:20 #870815

Oh yes, I agree it is a nice town. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 October 2017 at 8:43:34 #870816

Thank you Lucas.

My husband and I enjoy hiking, photo opportunities and meeting people. We like eating out and drinking.

We also enjoy countryside more than cities, hence why we chose Pampigny!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 October 2017 at 9:57:48 #870817

Hi Kym,

I got a chance to look over the places you wanted to see and came to the conclusion that you had your planning well in hand. You have obviously done your research. Enjoy the eating out and drinking. In Lugano be sure to try the Primitivo. 😉

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 October 2017 at 10:14:03 #870818

Thanks Rock Oyster, will definitely be doing that!

jlovda
    Participant
    51 posts
    11 October 2017 at 12:14:47 #870819

Meiringen – Post Bus ride over four mountain passes. Starts and ends at the train station. All day ride starting at 9:30 am, ending after 6:00 pm. Spectacular scenery, free with Swiss travel pass. Actually operates like a private tour bus. It does not pick up local riders. Frequent stops for souvenirs, snacks, bathroom. Give the driver a tip at the end. His driving is amazing. I just did it a week ago. I was told it was packed in the summer and a free advance reservation was needed. I got a reservation but the bus was less than 1/3 full (October 1). The ride ends for the season right about now for winter.

In Zürich walk through the old town by the church with the huge clock and climb up the sidewalk to Lindenhof park for a view of the Limmat River area and the Grossmunster Church with its twin spires. There is also a wonderful view of the old city and all the city’s church towers from a plaza at the ETH, the Zurich Technical Institute above the city. Ride the Polybahn Funicular to get there. It’s close to the train station. Running parallel to the Limmat River is Neiderdorfstrasse, a walking street, with a zillion restaurants and upscale shops. If you like Rolex watches, walk down the Bahnhofstrasse.

Everyone has a different personality and adrenelin level . I was burn’t out at the end of my eight days (the length of my pass) and ready for a long break. Make sure you plan a day or two in the middle to just relax. I must admit I REALLY got my money’s worth from the SBB in those eight days but the focus of my trips (18 of them) have been railroad photography enjoying the sites along the way. Ironically, the highlight of my entire trip was a prearranged visit to “Depot G” in Zürich photographing locomotives. Most people would be more leisurely in their pace. Most days happened to be overcast for me and some mountain tops were not worth visiting. You will need to make alternate plans if this happens to you.

In the popular city Old Towns, be prepared swarms of Chinese tourists with selfie sticks. Luzern on Sunday was packed. Gornergrat was wonderful. Zermatt was like a souvenir section at Disneyland. I am not a gourmet person. There are a lot of four star restaurants around the country if you are into that but I was a Migros/Coop person. A zillion places in every town to enjoy a coffee at an outdoor cafe and watch the people and soak in the ambiance.

John

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 October 2017 at 13:06:21 #870820

Hi Kym007 –

<<“My husband and I enjoy hiking, photo opportunities and meeting people. We like eating out and drinking.”>>

Here a few first thoughts.

Hiking -Plenty available at all difficulties. You probably have seen this:

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king

Switzerland has an extensive network of well marked hiking trails, in German, called “die Wanderwege” and in French (someone please help me with my non-existent French) “randonee pedestrienne.”

Trail markings-

http://www.alpenwild.com/stat icpage/trail-signs-in-the-swiss-alps/

Switzerland Mobility- the site for all things mobile that are powered by yourself:

map.wanderland.ch/?lang=de&route=all&bgLa yer=pk&resolution=10&l ayers=Wanderland&E=252 1980&N=1159020

I have set it to “Wanderland” in the menu, and zoomed in on Pampigny with hiking routes turned on. It is a good source for information about named trails, such as the Via Alpina. I sometimes have trouble with the search function, but using place names usually gets me to what I want. It understands German better than English. Trail information , at least on named trails, can include altitude profiles.

From a search for Weg der Schweiz (the Swiss Path):

map.wanderland.ch/?lang=en&route=all&bgLa yer=pk&resolution=10&l ayers=Wanderland&E=268 7625&N=1199887

Click on a route segment (of a named trail – it does not work for ordinary hiking trails, only named routes) and wait for the slow computer to give you red dots marking the named trail, and a window with route names and segment numbers, and then click on one of the trail names/segment numbers in the window that pops up. That will get you to a page a page that allows you to choose “More information.” Click on that, and you get more details. You’ll get something like this:

http://www.schweizmobil.ch/en /hiking-in-switzerland/routes/eta ppe-01447.html

Click on “enlarged Map” for a good topo.

Also, click on ” Show height profile” and get this:

images2.schweizmobil.c h/files/wl_99.02.pdf

When I get frustrated making the Switzerland Mobility site do what I want, I use the most detailed and complete available map, provided by SwissTopo, the Federal Land Office.

If you go to their homepage, and look under products as well as the “online” tabs, you can learn about available paper topo maps, including those with the Wanderwege marked on them, and a smart phone app.

http://www.swisstopo.admin.ch /

If you go to the online maps section, you can get this kind of map, in this case set for Mürren with “Hiking Trails” turned on in the menus. Note the color coding, as described in the Wandern Alpin link above:

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=ech&lang=en&bgLa yer=ch.swisstopo.pixel karte-farbe&layers=ch.bav.ha ltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swiss tlm3d-wanderwege&layers_visi bility=false,true&X=15 6528.02&Y=634753.25&zo om=6

Blue trails are technical climbing. Red are “Mountain Trails” and need good boots or study shoes. Yellow are tame. Even tame trails can have major altitude changes..

What kind of hikers are you?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 October 2017 at 20:24:13 #870821

Thank you for the attentive detail Slow poke.

We love to bushwalk and are quite experienced, although not at the altitudes that the Swiss hikers would be used to.

We will only be doing day walks and are happy to do 4 – 6 hours of walking a day.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 October 2017 at 20:24:53 #870822

Thanks John.

The train trip sounds lovely, do you have any photos?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 October 2017 at 20:32:28 #870823

Hi Kym,

Did you mean bus trip? If so then http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/postbus-through-four-passes-of-the-central-alps

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • The thread ‘20 days in Switzerland- July 2018 itinerary help’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.