3 day rail pass for Lucerne to Zermatt

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2017 at 9:24:10 #811264

Hello,

I am travelling to Switzerland in the 1st week of May’17 and will be staying at Lucerne. I plan to visit following places over a period of 3 days –

Mt.Titlis – Lucerne

Mt.Jungfraujoch

Klein Matterhorn at Zermatt

I need help with the best rail pass that allows me seamless travel across trains, boats and cable cars

Appreciate your help

Thanks

Rakesh

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2017 at 12:31:55 #860951

Hi Rakesh and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Your best bet would be the 3 day Swiss Travel Pass. It will cover most of your trips – no one pass covers all of those attractions.

The extra tickets you will still need to buy are the cable car between Zermatt and Klein Matterhorn (50% off with Swiss Travel Pass); the cable car between Engelberg and Mt. Titlis (50% off); and Grindelwald or Wengen to Jungfraujoch (25% off). Everything else would be covered – read more about what the Swiss Travel Pass covers here.

Let me know if you have further questions!

Lucas

madduris2000
    Participant
    32 posts
    4 April 2017 at 5:46:49 #860952

Hi Rakesh,

The pass issue is resolved by simple arithmetic:

Calculate the cost ( by purchase of single journey tickets)of all journeys you propose to make from your port of entry into Switzerland till you reach back the port of exit. Then evaluate the cost of following passes:

Swiss travel pass

swiss transfer ticket (STT))supplemented by point to point tickets

swiss half fare card

STT combo with half. Fare card

In my case combo worked fine- travelled from Geneva to Zermatt – Brig – interlaken – brig- Basel (exit) – purchased point to point to cover brig- interlaken- brig . I used half fare for Zermatt- Gornergrad, Zermatt-Matterhorne Glacier Paradise,brig -interlaken- brig.,interlaken – Jung Frau joch

So get your calculator out,

Enjoy your trip

Sundar Ram Madduri

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2017 at 7:13:30 #860953

Thanks Sundar for your response.

So it means that Half Fare Card can be bought by outsiders as well. I thought I read somewhere that it can be used only by residents of Switzerland and neighboring countries

Can you please confirm?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2017 at 11:36:58 #860954

Hi rakesh3rg,

Unfortunately, there are two rail passes that are named very similarly here.

The Half-Fare Travelcard is for Swiss residents (and residents of Liechtenstein) only. For all tourists from all other countries, you need the buy the Swiss Half Fare Card.

I know it can be confusing. They offer almost exactly the same discounts.
    You won’t be able to mistakenly buy the wrong one though – the travelcard needs your passport and Swiss ID before buying.

Read more about the Swiss Half Fare Card for tourists here, including what it covers and where to buy online.

Cheers,
    Lucas

• The thread ‘3 day rail pass for Lucerne to Zermatt’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.