3 day Swiss trip late June – 2 adults 2 kids 14&12

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 January 2018 at 7:26:58 #814130

Hi all,

I have devised a somewhat ambitious itinerary for our 3 days. I would appreciate it if anyone has the opportunity to review and comment on how realistic this is and offer any advice on things that would be worth considering as none of the below is set in stone yet:

Please note:

1.We will be arriving from Hong Kong and therefore the 6 hours time difference will mean jet lag-especially for the kids could be a factor.

2.We definitely want to get a feel for the Swiss large towns but have deliberately minimised our time in towns as we want to maximise our opportunity to see the countryside.

3.We plan to travel on a 3 day Swiss pass.

Day 1 – We arrive in Zurich approx. 6am on the 26th and plan to head to Zurich and spend a couple of hours there exploring the central area. Then head to Lucerne for approx. 11am – again, explore the central area for a couple hours and have lunch. We then plan to take the train to Murren (via Brunig and Interlaken) and spend the night there (if there is time and jet lag is not too much of an issue then we may visit Trummelbach falls – if not we will do this on day 2)

Day 2 – up early and head to the top of Mt Shilthorn (hopefully there will be snow, any advice on whether this is likely would be appreciated), descend around lunchtime. Visit Trummelbach falls if we were unable to do this on day 1. Take the train to Kandersteg and visit the toboggan run. Stay at either Kanderstag, Visp or Brig – appreciate some advice here, my aim is to allow us to be as close as possible to day 3 itinerary start point

Day 3 – Up early(again!) Head to Zermatt for a couple of hours, visit the Charles Kuonen suspension bridge in Randa (just walk across and back – allowing approx. one hour) then travel to Geneva having a look around a couple of towns on route -appreciate some advice on which would be the best ones to look around. We aim to be in Geneva for around 5pm to eat, look around and then head to the airport for approx. 8PM

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 January 2018 at 8:57:48 #875025

Hi Andyt and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. Looks fine. I might not bother with Zurich at all and go straight to Lucerne.
    2. Yes there will be snow on Schilthorn – 3000 meters up will do that :). If you are wanting snow for the kids to play in I’m not sure it would be accessible…

Visp is the closest to Zermatt, then Brig then Kandersteg. Use the timetable to plan out your trips.

3. The suspension bridge is closer to 2.5 hours from Randa (https://www.zermatt.ch /en/Media/Attractions/ The-Charles-Kuonen-Suspension-Bridge) so it isn’t doable for you. This allows for more time in Zermatt though and a visit on the Gornergrat or Klein Matterhorn.
    4. You won’t really have time (I think) after your day in Zermatt to stop anywhere on the way to Geneva but if you get going very early, and spend just the morning in Zermatt and really want to stop somewhere on the way to Geneva look at Montreux.

When you order to Swiss Travel Pass online you can add-on the Swiss Family Card. It will cover the children for free for your stay here.

• The thread ‘3 day Swiss trip late June – 2 adults 2 kids 14&12’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.