3 days in Switzerland – is there a Swiss Pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 November 2015 at 4:33:00 #808113

Thanks for the great help we received here last year! I am going back to Switzerland with my daughter for several days from December 31 – Jan. 5.

We are taking the train from Paris to spend time with with family in Lucerne from Dec. 31 – Jan. 3. My husband and I loved being in the stunning mountains in Wengen last year and our daughter is always up for traveling so I am squeezing in an overnight there with her on Jan. 3, then down to spend the night in Interlaken on Jan. 4 and train to Zurich on Jan. 5 to fly to Naples.

From what I have been able to calculate, I don’t think any of the Swiss passes will help us but wanted to check in to see if I am doing something wrong. We are traveling from Paris to Lucerne by train on Dec. 31. I’ve found Lucerne to Wengen 46.40, Wengen to Interlaken 14.40, Interlaken to Zurich Airport 73. for a total of 133.80.

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    9 November 2015 at 11:09:53 #846924

Welcome back, bc5alums! Good to hear we’ve been able to help you out with your previous trip and that you’re now planning your next visit to Switzerland.

The fares you’ve found are correct. I do think you should add the Swiss part of your inbound trip from Paris. Assuming you’re entering via Basel, you should include the leg Basel-Lucerne, which is an additional CHF 33.00. That makes a total of CHF 166,80. That’s still not worth buying a rail pass indeed. If, however, you intend to make a couple of side trips, e.g. a cable car ride, boat trip or train trip made from Lucerne, or a cable car ride near Wengen, you should calculate whether a Swiss Half Fare Card is cheaper.

Does that help you out?

• The thread ‘3 days in Switzerland – is there a Swiss Pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.