3 days: Lucerne and which other town?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2015 at 16:42:21 #807212

Hi, I am Jessie come from Malaysia country.My sister and I together with my age 12 daughter will go to Switzerland on 22.10.15 to 25.10.15.

First at all,we will leaving from Milan (22.10.15)ahead to Switzerland and stay in Switzerland for three days.After check out on 25.10.15 ,we will travel to Venice.

I don’t have any good idea which I can go for most popular places to visit.From my research,I found that Lucerne is one of my place interesting to visit.And maybe I will decide stay in Lucerne.Other than that,which part of Switzerland should I need to visit?Zurich ,Zettmatt ,Interlaken or Jungfrau ,etc.

Or from where or end of the place which can convenient for us travel ahead to Venice?

We are here sincerely seeking for your advice or sharing your experience to us.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    12 May 2015 at 17:11:25 #843020

Hi Jessie,

Thanks for joining us! Can you tell us a little bit about your interests? Do you like nature, hiking, cities, museums, sports, lively or quiet places, etc? Do you prefer to visit local sites or spend hours of traveling to different places? A good place to start is myswissalps.com/ plantrip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2015 at 17:22:44 #843021

Hi,yes,I like nature,cities,lively …etc.

I can spend hrs travel to different places using my three days in Switzerland.

After settled my itinerary,I would like to know what pass should I need to buy beginning from Milan-Switzerland (what kind of Swiss pass should I need to buy (two adults and 12 yrs old kid)around Switzerland )better and cheapest fare because we are backpackers.And Switzerland ahead to Venice.

Thank you for your help.

Annika
    7124 posts
    13 May 2015 at 15:25:18 #843022

Hi Jessie,

In that case Lucerne sounds like a town that fits your interests. It’s lively and city-like. If you find it’s too small then Zurich is just an hour by train for a day trip. Nature and mountains is close by too. Personally I would not travel all the way to Zermatt as a day trip, as it takes over 3 hours to get there, but it can be done. Please see our Lucerne page for things to do, and hotel suggestions.

To avoid doing the same route twice you could travel from Milan via Brig, Spiez and Interlaken to Lucerne (Golden Pass line). Then on the way back to Italy you can take the direct route via Chiasso and Milan to Venice.

You need a list of trips and things to do to select a rail pass, but if you indeed will travel that much, a 4-day Swiss Travel Pass is the best choice. Additional you need a ticket from Milan to Domodossola (the Swiss border) and from Chiasso (the other border) to Venice. Please find all details here:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2015 at 16:22:19 #843023

Hi Annika,

Thks for your information.But now I did the research that if I arrive in Switzerland is better than I arrive in Milan,is it?Because I will visit to Venice.

Should I need to change my route trip which arrive in Zurich ,do a day trip in Zurich,then stay in Interlaken for four days.I will visit Jungfrau for first day,2nd days in Lucerne,third day visit Bern ,is it enough for me to visit these three places in four days?Then from Interlaken taking train by Swiss family pass to Milan,from Milan ahead to Venice is it much more better than I travel from Milan -Switzerland-Venice?Is it save a lot of time for traveling in the train?

Pls advice

Jessie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2015 at 16:25:02 #843024

Meanwhile should i buy Swiss family pass for four days or half fare card?Which one more cheaper ?

Pks advice

Tq

Jessie

Annika
    7124 posts
    13 May 2015 at 18:21:33 #843025

Hi Jessie,

Yes, you would save travel time and costs if arrive in Switzerland and then continue your journey to Milan and Venice.

It still looks like a 4 day Swiss Travel Pass, combined with a regular ticket for the Italian leg, would be the most convenient option. If you order the free Swiss Family Card too, your 12 year old daughter will travel along for free on all routes. If you want to make absolutely sure which pass is the cheapest solution, you can make calculations as explained here.

Does this help you decide?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2015 at 2:56:46 #843026

Hi Annika,

Yes,your suggestions for me is finally can help me set up my itinerary in Switzerland.

We will arrive at Zurich airport at 17.10.15@6:10am.We will do a day trip in Zurich,is it possible we can leave our luggage bag at train station during our day trip?

Then we will move on stay in Interlaken for 4 days 3 nights

Day 1(18.10.15)- Going to Jungfrau

Day 2 (19.10.15)-Going to Lauterbrunen

Day 3 (20.10.15)

Going to Lucerne,from Lucerne,first we will go to visit the drying lion,second ,we will go for boat trip lake Lucerne .Third, we will go old town Lucerne.Finally ,we will go to Mt. Titlis(is it possible we can visit the Pilatus after Mt. Titlis,do we have enough time to visit for the above mentioned places in day 3?Or need to separate a partial in day 2?(If yes,which places need to pull on day 2?

Meanwhile,I am also looking for a place which can buy branded watches in Switzerland.Can u recommend to me where can I buy watch in cheapest shop in Switzerland (which means can buy from my route places as mentioned above.

Add on one question,should we stay in Interlaken or Lucerne for our journey to each other,which place is more convenient and won’t wasting time to travel in train.After finish our 4 days journey in Switzerland,we will move on to Milan ,should we buy a Italy train ticket for ahead to Milan?Or just using our Swiss travel pass is enough for us depart from Switzerland to Milan?

Pls advise,

Jessie

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 May 2015 at 13:08:39 #843027

<<“

Should I need to change my route trip which arrive in Zurich ,do a day trip in Zurich,then stay in Interlaken for four days.I will visit Jungfrau for first day,2nd days in Lucerne,third day visit Bern ,is it enough for me to visit these three places in four days?Then from Interlaken taking train by Swiss family pass to Milan…”>>

Jessie – you save some train time if you go from Zürich to Luzern and stay one night. Then go on to Interlaken. You can still go to Bern easily from Interlaken.

If you do that, then you do not do the longer rail segment ( Luzern<_>Interlaken) twice. Of course, it is nice to settle in one place and not keep switching hotels, but by going first to Luzern, which is on the way to Interlaken by one route, you could perhaps get a bit more time in or around Luzern.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2015 at 15:43:34 #843028

Hi Slowpoke,

That why I am wondering for it.Great!I will do it as u mentioned,thks for your advised.

Jessie

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 May 2015 at 0:42:33 #843029

<<“We will arrive at Zurich airport at 17.10.15@6:10am. We will do a day
    trip in Zurich,is it possible we can leave our luggage bag at train
    station during our day trip”>>

Yes .

sbb.ch/en/station-services/am-bahnhof/railway-stations/bahnhof-finden.posid.3000.html? WT.ac=service-zh-en

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2015 at 16:11:20 #843030

Hi ,

May I know if I am depart from Interlaken OST to Milan,is it my Swiss travel pass only cover till the border of Domodosolla .From there to Milan ,I need to buy the train ticket by Trentalia web site,right?

Pls advice,

thank you

Jessie

Arno
    15484 posts
    19 May 2015 at 17:03:17 #843031

Hi Jessie,

You are right, you need a ticket from Domodossola to Milan. However, there’s no need to order that separately through Trenitalia. Simply order it along with your Swiss Travel Pass. You can get the pass through raileurope.com.sg/pass /swiss-pass and the ticket through raileurope.com.sg/trai n/italian-international-trains.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2015 at 23:23:04 #843032

Hi Arno,

Thanks for your information.I got it.

• The thread ‘3 days: Lucerne and which other town?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.