3 days Switzerland – Half fare card vs Swiss Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 January 2015 at 5:40:19 #806780

Hello,

My husband and I will be arriving in Zurich April 21, 2015 and would like to spend 3 days in Switzerland, we will also be travelling to Paris, Ireland, and Scotland. After spending many hours researching different passes and places to visit in Switzerland I have come up with this rough itinerary.

Zurich to Paris – TGV train (April 21)

Paris to Dublin to Edinburgh (April 24-May 4)

Edinburgh to Geneva (or Basel) – possibly spend a few hours sightseeing (May 4)

Geneva/Basel to Interlaken – spend 2 nights in Interlaken – day trip to Schilthorn (May 4,5)

Interlaken to Lucerne – spend one night in Lucerne (May 6)

Lucerne to Zurich – fly out same day (May 7)

What I’m not too sure about is whether it would be better to purchase a swiss pass, or swiss half fare card. If I purchase a swiss half fare card, am I able to use one card to purchase tickets for myself and my husband? Or do we need to each purchase the half fare card?

Basically, besides arriving April 21st, we will only be in Switzerland for 3 days (May 4-7), and most likely doing only one mountain excursion up to Schilthorn. At other times we will be walking or hiking and checking out the local area.

Thank you in advance for any information you are able to provide!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    3 January 2015 at 10:16:21 #841469

Welcome to MySwissAlps, shubaru!

For your itinerary, that doesn’t include many long journeys, a Swiss Half Fare Card is most probably the cheapest option. You would need two of them, one for you and one for your husband. The Swiss Half Fare Cards allow to to purchase 50% discounted tickets in either 1st or 2nd class for of your trips, including the one up to the Schilthorn. Further details are explained at the Swiss Half Fare Card page.

I hope this helps you decide. Enjoy your trip planning and please get back to us in case you have any further questions!

• The thread ‘3 days Switzerland – Half fare card vs Swiss Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.