3 nights 4 days trip in Switzerland

• Xmistral99
    Participant
    45 posts
    31 October 2019 at 8:28:29 #824342

Hi all!

We have returned from our maiden trip to Europe and we thought to share our experience in Switzerland with others in this forum.

We arrived in Mürren from Milan via Brig. We took the scenic rail route via Kandersteg and really enjoyed the panoramic view (left side had better views). We were totally amazed by the natural beauty in Jungfrau region, especially in Lauterbrunnen and Mürren. The following day we went to Mount Schilthorn early morning and to our great delight there was a snow-falling. Though we had to cancel the Thrill walk at Birg because of the mist we could spend more time in the beautiful Mürren village. Thereafter we took a cable car to Stechelberg and from there came to Lauterbrunnen by bus. The view was breathtaking and we were mesmerized by it.

Then we continued our trip by taking the train to Wengen and from there went to Männlichen by cable car. We got 50% discount as we had the Swiss Travel Pass. From there we did a hike to Kleine Scheidegg and that was another unforgettable experience. We had closer views of the snow-capped mountains. It took about 1 hr and 40 minutes. We took the train to Grindelwald and from there to Bern.

Bern was beautiful with autumn colours and the following day morning we spent about 3 hours exploring it. Thereafter we proceeded to Basel to take the train to Colmar in France for a short visit. We could find the French platform without difficulty and as we have bought e-tickets, we could simply board the train. After visiting Colmar we came to Schaffhausen via Zurich in late evening.

The next day we visited the Rhine Falls from Neuhausen am Rheinfall side and the view was magnificent! We had the impression that this side has the better view. After that we took the train to Flüelen which was a beautiful lakeside town. We did a boat ride from Flüelen to Brunnen and it was free with STP. As the weather was fine we had a nice view over that part of the lake Lucerne and we were glad that we did it!

Thereafter we proceeded to Lucerne by train and arrived there in the afternoon. Lucerne looked glamorous and we were really impressed by it. However we think that Bern is equally or even more beautiful than Lucerne because of the autumn colours.

Finally we left for Zurich to take the train to Innsbruck to continue our trip. The view was beautiful when the train was passing by Lake Walen (Walensee).

We had bought 4 days Swiss travel pass and it was absolutely worth it. Buying the Swiss Travel Pass saved us both time and money. We could do almost all the trips that we had planned. Sometimes we caught trains by one or two minutes but never missed. We were impressed by the efficiency and convenience of Swiss travel system. The trains were punctual and comfortable.On top of that Swiss people were very friendly, helpful and polite. Such great people! Of all the European countries we have travelled we think that Switzerland got the best sceneries and the friendliest people.

I’d also take this opportunity to thank the MySwissAlps experts and other contributors whose advice,tips and information very much contributed to the success of our Swiss adventure! I highly recommend this forum to anyone planning a trip to beautiful Switzerland!

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 October 2019 at 17:34:24 #924452

Hi Xmistral99,

it was so good to read your experiences and see your wonderful photos. I am really happy you liked Switzerland and the Swiss people and that you find MySwissAlps and the forum useful. Thanks for your appreciation.

Yes, Swiss trains are really amazing 🙂 Safe, comfortable and punctual, just as you said. 🙂

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    1 November 2019 at 2:55:59 #924453

Thanks for sharing your experiences and photos. That Kleine-Scheidegg photo is quite something.

You certainly covered some ground.

You wrote “We could find the French platform without difficulty and ,as we have bought e-tickets, we could simply board the train. “

Where did you buy the e-tickets. Do you mean you were able to show them on your mobile phone or did you print them out?

Anna
    6423 posts
    1 November 2019 at 4:50:09 #924454

Hi Xmistral99,

Thank you for the wonderful review. Appreciate all the tips and recommendations 🙂 I certainly agree with you, Bern is lovely.

Best regards,

Anna

Xmistral99
    Participant
    45 posts
    1 November 2019 at 6:24:04 #924455

Hi rockoyster

Yeah, we too think we could cover a lot during a short time!

I had bought the tickets online from oui.sncf website before I left my country and I got the pdf version on my phone.I have taken printouts also.

I have contacted the French railway website and they have also confirmed that you can use either versions of tickets and that you can use them for the next train on the same day in case you miss it!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 November 2019 at 1:48:39 #924456

Thanks. I had difficulty getting a straight answer on that from Colmar Station.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 November 2019 at 7:47:53 #924457

Hello Xmistral99,

Thank you for taking the time to post a great travel report of Switzerland! The photos are excellent too, especially the one with Bern. I never thought it could look so empty, it must have been quite early in the day.

Best regards,

Suzanne

Xmistral99
    Participant
    45 posts
    6 November 2019 at 8:50:02 #924458

Thanks Suzanne.Yes it was taken around 8.30 am and the area around the clock tower was almost empty!

• The thread ‘3 nights 4 days trip in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11230 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.