3.5 d – Please advice Public Transit in Switzerlan

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 August 2010 at 12:18:53 #803957

Hello,
    A) I need help to figure out the cost of my public transit for three days in Switzerland. This is my itinerary :
    29th August : Zurich airport to Murren
    30TH August : From Murren to Gimmelswald and Shilthorn
    31st August : Leave Murren to go to interlaken. Walk around in Wildersville and back to Interlaken.
    1st Sept : Check out from Interlaken to leave for Zurich Airport

B) What is the best way to navigate around in these places for the four days? I travel ALONE.

C) Should I buy a Swiss pass? My interests will be exploring (walking around) in the beautiful region and not too many activities (no skiing etc). But owuld love to do the Gondola and reach these places.

MOST appreciate your reply. I went through your other forum answers and couldn’t resist asking you for advice.
    Thank you very much.
    -Pri

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    15 August 2010 at 7:51:25 #831690

Hello -Pri, and welcome to the forum! The Swiss timetable is a great tool for planning your itinerary in advance. Simply fill out your departure and arrival station, the right date and travel time, and the timetable will show all possible connections including important information on platforms, changes of trains, and so on. For your trip from Zurich Airport to Mürren, fill out ‘Mürren BLM’ as your arrival station. The timetable will show then show the easiest way to get up to Mürren, which is by a short cable car ride from Lauterbrunnen to Grütschalp and a connecting train ride to Mürren. The exact timetables of this leg of your trip can be found here as well.

It’s also possible to get to Mürren by taking a bus from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg and then getting up by cable car via Gimmelwald. This is part of the cable car route up to Schilthorn. Timetables for the all cable car sections between Stechelberg and Schilthorn can be found on the Schilthorn website.

As for a Swiss rail pass: as your stay in Switzerland is relatively short, and so are your trips, a Swiss Pass wouldn’t be worth your money. Instead, the cheapest solution in your case is a Swiss Card, which offers a free transfer between the airport (Zurich) and your destination (Mürren) and a 50% discount on the other trips (to Schilthorn and Wilderswil/Interlaken) during your stay. Purchasing a Swiss Card would save you about CHF 40.00 compared to buying regular tickets (I’ve already included the price of the Swiss Card, which is CHF 182.00, in this calculation). Please refer to our Swiss Card page for more information and purchase options.

By the way, if you get to Wilderswil and Interlaken in clear and sunny weather, consider the beautiful cog railway ride up to Schynige Platte!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2010 at 17:36:20 #831691

Hello Annika,
    Thank you for your detailed reply. I have gone through your suggestions and they make a lot of sense.

By the way – My itinerary has changed slightly. I will be using Interlaken as my base –
    a) Day one : going from Zurich to Interlaken
    b) Day two : Interlaken to Murren Gimmewald and Shilthorn
    c) Day three : Maybe same as b or Jungfrau
    d) Day four : Leave for Zurich

So – will a Swiss Card still work – or should I consider Swiss Rail Pass?

Appreciate all your suggestions…..Its helping me a great deal plan my trip.
    Thank you very much,
    -Pri

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2010 at 17:37:03 #831692

So each day, I will be traveling from Interlaken to the other areas…….Hotel reservation in Interlaken for three nights!

Annika
    7116 posts
    16 August 2010 at 12:54:12 #831693

Hello -Pri! The Swiss Card will work for this itinerary as well. But as the return trip from Zurich Airport to Interlaken Ost is shorter and therefore cheaper than a return trip between Zurich Airport and Mürren, a Swiss Half Fare Card would be more economical in this case. For the Swiss Card to be cost effective, the return trip from the airport to your destination (which is for free with the Swiss Card) should be quite long and expensive. So the Swiss Card turns out to be economical for a trip to Mürren, but not for a trip to Interlaken Ost. The Swiss Half Fare Card is cheaper in case you travel to Interlaken. It allows a 50% discount on all trips within Switzerland, including your return trip from Zurich Airport to Interlaken.

Several hotels close to the railway stations of Interlaken are listed at the hotel page. You can arrange for your booking through this page.

• The thread ‘3.5 d – Please advice Public Transit in Switzerlan’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.