4 day saver pass or 50% discount pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2011 at 19:16:06 #804116

Who said traveling by rail in Europe is easy – guess the hardest part is figuring out what pass to use?

My wife (age 57) and I (63) will traveling from Zurich to venice in Sept. Trying to compare the 2nd class Saver & Discount Passes. Prices are USD for the two of us.

Date . . . . . . . . . . . . .50% / 4 day Saver
    9/12 Pass prices . . . . 222 / 474
    9/12 Zurich to Lucerne . 29 / 0
    9/13 Mt Rigi . . . . . . . .111 / 0
    9/14 Lucerne-Engelberg R/T 34 / 0
    9/15 Wilhelm Tell Express . . 82 / 82
    expires
    9/16 San Salvatore . . . . . 30 / 59 I assume this qualifies for 50% discount?
    9/17 Bus Lugano to Menaggio ? ? Don’t know the price? Pass discount?
    9/19 Buses around Lake Como
    9/20 Train to Milano Centrale – Ferrovie Nord
    9/20 Train to Venice – Trenitalia

Questions: Do the above prices look correct? (USD for two)
    Is the San Salvatore funicular discounted 50%?
    Price of bus trips to Menaggio & around Lake Como? Discount deals available?

Thank you for your assistance!!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    10 February 2011 at 4:25:02 #832163

Hello mactoolsix! For your travel scheme, the Swiss Half Fare Card is cheaper than a 4 day Swiss Saver Pass. This is true for the first four days of your stay already, and on top of this you’d miss out on discounts during the last days in Lugano. The Swiss Half Fare Card offers a 50% discount on both the cable car to Monte San Salvatore and on the bus trip form Lugano to Menaggio (which is CHF 24.00). Bus tours around lake Como, which is in Italy, aren’t included in Swiss railway passes. The map we link to at the Swiss Half Fare Card page, under the header ‘Swiss Half Fare Card features’, shows exactly which routes are included. Prices can be found in the Swiss timetable. The rail FAQ may be of help too.

I hope this helps you decide!

• The thread ‘4 day saver pass or 50% discount pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.