5 days Switzerland - how to use 4 day train pass?

5 days Switzerland - how to use 4 day train pass?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Ambrish
Ambrish
9 posts
Jun 2, 2017 - 11:00 PM

Hello,

I would be travelling to Switzerland next week for 5 days and the Swiss travel pass options available are 3,4 and 8 days consecutive days hence am confused as to how to manage 1 extra day.

On day 1, I am reaching Geneva airport at 2 pm and plan is to take cruise along the Lake Geneva and visit UNO headquarter and take evening train to Zermat via Visp(partly by Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn )

On last day, I am planning to take early morning train from Wengen to Basel and then go to Rhine waterfalls and back to Basel.

Which of the days(first or last day) is advisable to cover in Swiss travel pass?

Is there any other better alternative for4.5 days trip?

Regards

Ambrish

Arno
Arno
10358 posts
expert &
Jun 3, 2017 - 9:23 AM

Hi Ambrish,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! This a bit unfortunate, as both your first and last days are pretty long, and thus expensive with normal ticket. Your last day would be a bit shorter if you travel directly to the Rhine Fall instead of via Basel. It saves you at least an hour.

I recommend to do the math and compare these options:

1. 4-day Swiss Travel Pass + regular tickets on day 1
  2. 4-day Swiss Travel Pass + regular tickets on day 5
  3. 8-day Swiss Travel Pass
  4. Swiss Half Fare Card, perhaps combined with one or two 1-day travelpasses

This may sound like a lot of work, but with our guidelines and the Excel sheet it should be doable to find the cheapest option.

Ambrish
Ambrish
9 posts
Jun 3, 2017 - 5:45 PM

Thanks a lot Arno.

1. Swiss Half Fare Card(SHFC) seems to be good for me, wanted to know will it be used for River cruise as well(example 50% off on ticket for Lake Geneva cruise)?

2. Is the 9'o clock one day travel pass valid on Matterhorn glacier and Gorengrat rail?

Regards

Ambrish

Arno
Arno
10358 posts
expert &
Jun 3, 2017 - 8:38 PM

Hi Ambrish,

1. Yes, those cruises are discounted too (see the Swiss Half Fare Card map).

2. No, those are only discounted, regardless if you have a 1-day travelpass. The pass is only for town to town traveling, not for mountain excursions (see the map).

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018