5 days Switzerland – how to use 4 day train pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2017 at 23:00:43 #812091

Hello,

I would be travelling to Switzerland next week for 5 days and the Swiss travel pass options available are 3,4 and 8 days consecutive days hence am confused as to how to manage 1 extra day.

On day 1, I am reaching Geneva airport at 2 pm and plan is to take cruise along the Lake Geneva and visit UNO headquarter and take evening train to Zermat via Visp(partly by Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn )

On last day, I am planning to take early morning train from Wengen to Basel and then go to Rhine waterfalls and back to Basel.

Which of the days(first or last day) is advisable to cover in Swiss travel pass?

Is there any other better alternative for4.5 days trip?

Regards

Ambrish

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    3 June 2017 at 9:23:27 #864365

Hi Ambrish,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! This a bit unfortunate, as both your first and last days are pretty long, and thus expensive with normal ticket. Your last day would be a bit shorter if you travel directly to the Rhine Fall instead of via Basel. It saves you at least an hour.

I recommend to do the math and compare these options:

1. 4-day Swiss Travel Pass + regular tickets on day 1
    2. 4-day Swiss Travel Pass + regular tickets on day 5
    3. 8-day Swiss Travel Pass
    4. Swiss Half Fare Card, perhaps combined with one or two 1-day travelpasses

This may sound like a lot of work, but with our guidelines and the Excel sheet it should be doable to find the cheapest option.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2017 at 17:45:46 #864366

Thanks a lot Arno.

1. Swiss Half Fare Card(SHFC) seems to be good for me, wanted to know will it be used for River cruise as well(example 50% off on ticket for Lake Geneva cruise)?

2. Is the 9’o clock one day travel pass valid on Matterhorn glacier and Gorengrat rail?

Regards

Ambrish

Arno
    15484 posts
    3 June 2017 at 20:38:55 #864367

Hi Ambrish,

1. Yes, those cruises are discounted too (see the Swiss Half Fare Card map).

2. No, those are only discounted, regardless if you have a 1-day travelpass. The pass is only for town to town traveling, not for mountain excursions (see the map).

• The thread ‘5 days Switzerland – how to use 4 day train pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.