5 nights in Switzerland, which train pass?

• smitha
    Participant
    8 posts
    10 March 2016 at 8:52:42 #808578

Hi everyone,

I need help with planning my Swiss vacation. Heres my itinerary

Day1: Land in Zurich , take a train to Lucerne from the airport. Day tour of Lucerne

Day2:Lucerne to Engelberg by train and then Mount Titlis and back to Lucerne and later in the evening take a train to Interlaken

Day3:Interlaken to Jungfrau by train and then do some hiking and Kleine Scheidegg to Interlaken by train

Day4:Interlaken to Brienz by train and Lake Brienz boat tour and head back to Interlaken. In the evening train to Zurich

Day5:Zurich lake, old town, churches etc

Day6:Fly back from Zurich

I need help with what kind of train pass is best. I was looking at Swiss Rail pass for 4 days but I got confused. I thought the train travel would be free but the SBB site shows a charge and it doesnt give me a option to select swiss train pass, it shows only half price and no reduction option. Can someone plz tell me if all the train, boat rides are free with swiss pass or how much would my train travel cost me if there is a charge even after purchasing the Swiss Travel Pass.

Thanks in advance,

Smitha

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    10 March 2016 at 10:11:53 #849239

Hi Smitha, welcome to MySwissAlps!

You don’t need the SBB site for anything else than checking train schedules. The Swiss Travel Pass includes most of your travel for free, so you don’t need tickets. You can simply board any train or boat with your pass. In case of discounted mountain trips like Jungfraujoch and Titlis you can buy a ticket on the day you need it, show your pass, and get the discount.

Please see myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/ validity for what’s included in the pass, and myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/ price for purchase options. The simplest way is to go to the SBB tourist webshop at http://www.swissrailways.com/ en and order it there. Pick the delivery option called “Online Ticket” so the pass will be e-mailed and you can print it at home.

smitha
    Participant
    8 posts
    10 March 2016 at 17:32:15 #849240

Thank you, will look at the links you sent and will get back if i have further questions. Thanks once again.

Regards,

smitha

smitha
    Participant
    8 posts
    10 March 2016 at 22:28:32 #849241

Hi, is there a website to find the timetables of the buses included in the swiss travel pass. We may need to use the bus within intelaken and zurich.

Thanks,

Smitha

Annika
    7124 posts
    11 March 2016 at 7:52:13 #849242

Hi Smitha,

All connections can be found in the Swiss timetable. This includes urban buses. You can enter bus stops or even exact addresses as your destination to find all options.

smitha
    Participant
    8 posts
    11 March 2016 at 8:18:31 #849243

Thank you

• The thread ‘5 nights in Switzerland, which train pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.