6 or 7 days suggested Switzerland itinerary trip

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 October 2016 at 8:22:26 #810213

Hi everyone, I am excited as I will be going to Switzerland in Feb with my partner next year and I will be flying to London for a couple of days (from HongKong catching British Airway) and then fly to Switzerland for around a week

There are so many things to do and I am a bit confused what to do and I appreciate if you can give us some suggestion.

Just a brief idea, we want to go to Swiss Alps as we love snow (assuming there is snow in Feb), landscape and scenery. We do want to go to museums, hiking or walking tours etc, We haven’t bought the airticket yet but here is the brieft itinerary and if there is suggestion, feel free to let me know

I have 3 options for the flights subject to your suggestion and the itinerary route convenience. For my airticket, I can either fly from London to Geneva. Then return back to HK catching British Airway (via London) in Zurich airport on the last day. Or vice versa i,e, fly to Zurich and then catch the plane back to HK at the Geneva airport. Or, I can fly from London to Zurich and then return back to HK (via London) from Zurich airport.

1st day – Assuming I will arrive the Zurich early @ 9am. Will tour around Zurich and go to the walk and tour in the city + Rhine Falls

2nd day – This is also where I get confused, we would like to go for either Glacier express or Bernina express return trip and back to Zurich city. I am not sure which one to go for either i,e, GE or BE as we wanna see the beautiful snow mountain scenary plus if there is a return trip back to Zurich. I know this last for one day,

3rd day – Wish to Jungfraujoch departing from Zurich and I am aware this a long trip and return to Zurich at night,

4th Day – Mount Titlis, Mount Pulatus & Schilthorn cable car. Return back to Zurich at night

5th day – The Matterhorn or suggested itinerary?

6th day – Zurich for another day tour? or suggested itinerary?

7th Day – 5pm take the flight back. Eary morning suggestion?

I know the iteninary above, I may have chosen the wrong order as one may be closer to the other or I should stay 1 night in that town to make it easier for the next day trip etc

Feel free to amend the trip or give me any suggestion if there is anything i am missing

PS: Also, I see the on the website, they have tours annd I am wondering if they are worth going? Or its much cheaper and easier to go on our own buying the train fares ourselves?

Your answer and advice will be appreciated

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    10 October 2016 at 7:15:37 #856462

Hi gobear, welcome to MySwissAlps!

You seem to have chosen Zurich as your base town, yet none of the activities on your wish list is near Zurich. Apart from that, Zurich is not in or near the mountains. Unless you have a specific reason to stay in Zurich, I would pick a town near the Alps and close to the things you want to see, like Lucerne or Interlaken. Both of these areas offer a lot to do, so you won’t have to make long trips every day. Be sure to study the timetable so you know how long trips will take (your 4th day won’t be possible, for example). Also take into account there will only be daylight from about 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM.

The “What to do” section in the main menu offers lots on details on day trips. You may want to take a look at that too.

Regarding the flights: in any case I would fly directly from Switzerland to Hong Kong. Flying via London is a detour and takes extra time and resources.

I hope this gets you started!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 October 2016 at 9:41:03 #856463

So Arno says, you travel to many hours from Zurich to the places you want to see.

For this trip you can better stay in or round Interlaken. You can from Interlaken quickly to Jungfrau and Schilthorn. In februari there is everywhere in the Bernese Oberland al lot of snow in the mountains. Not only on the Jungfrau and Schilthorn.

You can do nice walks in the snow:

Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg

-Kleine Scheidegg to Wengernalp

Grutsalp to Mürren

-First to Bachalpsee to Bort

Zurich is a big town, but not a place for in the winter, i think so……….

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 October 2016 at 15:59:35 #856464

First of all Arno & Brahms, thank you for the response & suggestion.

Just to let you know, we have not booked the airticket yet but we were also thinking, do you think it will be much easier if we arrive in Geneva and head from there and then leave Zurich airport as it goes up in the smooth direction?

Although I stated it is 7 nights, it can be 8 nights if there is an extra night that we should do or go for and I believe there is 8 nights railway pass special that we cna take advantage as well?

We are coming in Feb next year and wanna see some nice scenary and snow mountain the swiss alps. And we are going via London because we will be staying in London catching British Airways and then will go to Geneva or Zurich (depending which you suggest) departing from London and then return back to HK (and it has to go back via London by British Airway if that makes sense to you,

Anyway, possible, as stated before, we want to see Jungfraujoch, Mount Tiltis, Mount Pulatus, Schilthorn cable car, take Glacier Express Train. We are not into museums or not want to ski.

Here is the iteinerary and if there’s anything I got wrong or not recommended, feel free to stop me or amend it

1st Day – Arrive Geneva (if this is recommended instead of to Zurich airport) @ 5pm. Then will travel straight to Zermatt

2nd Day – Go to Jungfrayjoch. I see it is 4 1/2 hour trip so if I return back will be 9 hours according to what I see in Google i.e.

http://www.google.com.au/maps /dir/Jungfraujoch/3920 +Zermatt,+Switzerland/ @46.3559357,7.5450779, 10z/am=t/data=!3m1!4b1 !4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0 x478f9e28040eb3e5:0xcb 890e382c9179eb!2m2!1d7 .9806434!2d46.5482766! 1m5!1m1!1s0x478f35a229 2ee5cd:0x400ff8840196f 70!2m2!1d7.749117!2d46 .0207133!3e3

3rd Day – Go to Mount Tiltis in morning and then go to Mount Pulatus since it is nearby? Then return back to Zermatt?

http://www.google.com.au/maps /dir/3920+Zermatt,+Swi tzerland/Titlis,+Gadme n,+Switzerland/Mount+P ilatus,+Alpnach,+Switz erland/@46.5078223,7.6 475808,9z/data=!3m1!4b 1!4m20!4m19!1m5!1m1!1s 0x478f35a2292ee5cd:0x4 00ff8840196f70!2m2!1d7 .749117!2d46.0207133!1 m5!1m1!1s0x4785613c2d4 846d7:0xcaf661cc4df06a 05!2m2!1d8.4377704!2d4 6.772048!1m5!1m1!1s0x4 78ff014ba00b83d:0x742f 99fa40c4eb10!2m2!1d8.2 548011!2d46.9794705!3e 0

3rd Day – Go to Schilithorn for the whole day by train

http://www.google.com.au/maps /dir/3920+Zermatt,+Swi tzerland/Schilthorn,+L auterbrunnen,+Switzerl and/@46.3559357,7.4974 014,10z/data=!3m1!4b1! 4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x 478f35a2292ee5cd:0x400 ff8840196f70!2m2!1d7.7 49117!2d46.0207133!1m5 !1m1!1s0x478fa0aa0ef27 2f5:0xba9bb981f1a1b693 !2m2!1d7.8352065!2d46. 557202!3e3

4th Day – Take the Glacier Express Train to Chur and then I don’t know for the next 2 nights, where is recommended to stay or do

5th Day – ??

6th Day – Take the train back to Zurich and tour around the city area

7th Day – Take the plane back to HK @ 7pm flight (via London)

Your answer will be very much aprpeciated once again!

Hope you can forgive me as I am quite terrible with the geography and directions since switzerland names can be all over the places so I need some time to digest , lol

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 October 2016 at 16:03:10 #856465

Or if you recommend that I should arrive to Zurich instead of Geneva, then which base do you recommend we should stay at as you suggested i.e. Lucerne or Interlaken? Which is better and also close to the attractions that I have mentioned previously?

We love snow scenery, train travelling, have a stroll through the town, no specific activities like hiking or skiing

Thanks again

Arno
    15484 posts
    10 October 2016 at 16:48:35 #856466

Hi gobear,

I strongly recommend to use the timetable I referred to earlier (read the instructions before using). That will get you very precise traveling times. Google Maps is kind of risky.

If you have to return to London anyway it does not matter much whether you fly into Geneva or Zurich. Swiss and Cathay Pacific offer non stop flights from Zurich to Hong Kong. That’s shorter and quicker.

Just a thought: fly into Geneva as early as possible, then take the Golden Pass line to Interlaken. Stay a few days and take the remainder of the Golden Pass line to Lucerne, or take the Glacier Express to Chur, whichever you prefer. Then fly back from Zurich airport. The links will give you lots of details.

There is an 8-day rail pass: the Swiss Travel Pass.

Happy planning!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 October 2016 at 22:02:06 #856467

Travel all days to and from Zermatt is a very bad plan.

Much beter to stay the most days in Interlaken or Luzern.

Why do you you want to fly with Britisch Airways ?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 October 2016 at 0:20:22 #856468

<<“(assuming there is snow in Feb), “>>

It will be hard to avoid snaow in February. Especially at higher elevations, as in the Alpine resorts which a are running full speed for skiers.

<<“Just to let you know, we have not booked the airticket yet but we were also thinking, do you think it will be much easier if we arrive in Geneva and head from there and then leave Zurich airport as it goes up in the smooth direction?

Although I stated it is 7 nights, it can be 8 nights if there is an extra night that we should do or go for and I believe there is 8 nights railway pass special that we cna take advantage as well?

We are coming in Feb next year and wanna see some nice scenary and snow mountain the swiss alps. And we are going via London because we will be staying in London catching British Airways and then will go to Geneva or Zurich (depending which you suggest) departing from London and then return back to HK (and it has to go back via London by British Airway if that makes sense to you,”>>

It does not make sense to me.

There is plenty of service to HK; you do not have to waste time and money going through London, unless you have specific things that you wish to do in London.

Within Switzerland, Geneva is a bit out of the way. Zürich is central, and has better air connections to most of the world. Once again, unless you have specific reasons to be in Geneva, I’d go in and out of Zürich.

Zermatt is also out of the way.

Look at map:

map.search.ch/

and use the time table that Arno suggested.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘6 or 7 days suggested Switzerland itinerary trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.