Switzerland driving routes for 7 days – difficult?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2018 at 20:21:57 #816732

We are planning the below driving itin by rental car:

Day 1: Zurich

Day 2: Zurich to Arbon to Appenzell to Moritz

Day 3: Moritz to Ascona to Bellagio (Lake Como)

Day 4: Bellagio to Lugano to Zermatt

Day 5: Zermatt to Gstaad

Day 6: Gstaad to Montreaux to Lausanne to Geneva

Day 7: Geneva to Bern to Zurich

Questions:

1. Are any parts of the route through terrain that is difficult for tourists to drive on? If yes, Do you recommend train for any section of the route?

2. Do you see any other problem with the plan?

Thanks

Nita

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 June 2018 at 6:29:15 #888715

Hi Nita,

When are you driving in Switzerland? Is this in the summer or winter?

You’ll have some mountain roads to deal with and for some people that can be unnerving.

• Chur to St. Moritz has the Julier Pass
    • St. Moritz to Bellago has the Maloja Pass
    • Bellagio to Zermatt has the Nufenen Pass

Those are at least 3 to be aware of. I wouldn’t say they are difficult (in the summer) but be careful and be alert especially if you haven’t driven mountain passes before. Read our tips about mountain driving here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/car/drivinginthe mountains

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 June 2018 at 7:07:33 #888716

Hi Lucas –

<<“You’ll have some mountain roads to deal with and for some people that can be unnerving.”>>

Especially since the Swiss are sparing with their use of guardrails on the mountain roads. I believe the assumption is that you are a well-trained driver, and, if it bothers you, you should not be there. 😉

Slowpoke

Arno
    15484 posts
    19 June 2018 at 8:04:20 #888717

Good tips above! I would suggest not to drive all the way to Geneva on day 6 unless you have a specific purpose there. Driving as far as Montreux or Vevey only saves you time, and that’s where the best scenery is anyway. Also mind that Zermatt is car free, and bigger towns like Lugano, Bern, Zurich, Lausanne and Geneva are not pleasant to drive and park in, unless you know your way around. I’d definitely not rent a car until you depart from Zurich. You won’t need it in the city.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 June 2018 at 8:14:41 #888718

Hi Nita-

If you have made a choice to drive for specific reasons, that will be a nice trip.

However, if you are going because you want to see Switzerland, the train could be a better choice for the whole trip or most of it.

Just a thought.

http://www.myswissalps.com/tr avel/inswitzerland

http://www.myswissalps.com/ca r

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 June 2018 at 17:35:57 #888719

Hi Lucas-

I checked the link that you posted:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ca r/drivinginthemountain s

I note that in the picture of the hairpin switchbacks on that page, there are no guardrails beside the road.

That’s normal for Switzerland. It is indeed unnerving and stressful when the land drops away steeply and down for hundreds or thousands of feet ( or meters) and there is no guard rail between you and the drop off..

I am an enthusiastic and experienced driver, but driving those mountain passes is very tiring for me. Slowpoke

Arno
    15484 posts
    19 June 2018 at 18:15:53 #888720

Hi Slowpoke,

I know exactly what you mean! This picture however, was shot in the Jungfrau region and it is a service road in the car free area, not accessible to almost everyone including tourists. However, it does show what the smaller roads may look like, so I used it for illustration purposes. Better safe than sorry.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 June 2018 at 19:02:38 #888721

Definitely have to stay alert – and hope the other drivers are as well!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 June 2018 at 21:34:12 #888722

Thank you all. You have changed my mind and we will buy the Swiss Travel Pass for 8 days and do your suggested itin. This is such a fantastic forum and you guys are so helpful.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 June 2018 at 21:35:48 #888723

Thank you all. You have changed my mind and we will buy the Swiss Travel Pass for 8 days and do your suggested itin. This is such a fantastic forum and you guys are so helpful

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 June 2018 at 0:13:39 #888724

<<“ou have changed my mind and we will buy the Swiss Travel Pass for 8 days and do your suggested itin.”>>

Everyone gets to enjoy the views…and the driver does not have to pay attention to staying on the road. -)

If you were traveling only in the lower altitude Mittelland, my advice would be different.

No mountain passes there.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 June 2018 at 5:31:23 #888725

Trains are a fantastic method of transport in Switzerland. You’ll find details on the Swiss Travel Pass here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass

Click the “where it’s Valid” tab for a PDF map of the coverage area and the “price” link to order it online.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 June 2018 at 18:32:54 #888726

Thanks Lucas, Slowpoke and Aron for all the suggestions

• The thread ‘Switzerland driving routes for 7 days – difficult?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.