7 Day trip Zurich, Geneva, Interlaken & Lucerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2018 at 4:38:41 #815436

Hello,

I am in the process of planning a 7 day trip, does this itinerary sound feasible?:

Day 1 – Arrive Zurich-Valduz-Zurich (overnight Zurich)

Day 2-Zurich-Geneva-Annecy (overnight Annecy )

Day 3 – Annecy-Geneva-Interlaken (overnight Interlaken)

Day 4 – Interlaken (day trip Mt. Rigi ????Lausanne, Montreux, other suggestions?

Day 5- Interlaken -Lucerne (Lucerne boat tour) (overnight Lucerne)

Day 6 – Lucerne – Lugano – Lucerne (overnight Lucerne)

Day 7 – Lucerne a.m. -Zurich p.m. (overnight or leaving Zurich)

Would the 5 day Swiss rail pass be the best option?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 April 2018 at 6:51:31 #882748

Hello Veroniquew and Welcome to MySwiss Alps,

There is no 5-day Swiss Travel Pass but given the amount of time you are going to be spending on trains for your proposed itinerary I’d say an 8-day Swiss Travel Pass. Would suit you.

To be sure you should read “How to choose the best travel pass”, download the handy spreadsheet calculator and do the math.

On day 4 you really should think about exploring the Jungfrau Region rather than spending half the day going backwards and forwards to Lucerne.

Have you looked at the Swiss Train Timetable to work out how long it is going to take you to get from A to B. If you are not familiar with the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2018 at 7:07:08 #882749

Thank you!

Days 4 and 5 I really need to establish. I thought going back to Lucerne on Day 4 was not wise

I’ve checked some of the timetables, and it seems doable. While I want to maximize the time, I don’t want to feel totally rushed either.

I agree the 8 day pass would be a better option.

I didn’t see any restrictions for travelling the first week of September. Are there any?

Veronique

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 April 2018 at 7:10:43 #882750

I don’t think find any restrictions on travel in early September – it is the tail-end of the peak tourist season.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2018 at 7:26:33 #882751

Hi Veroniquew,

On day 4, if you want a mountain visit there are several much closer to Interlaken than Rigi (which is quite close to Lucerne).

If you want to visit Montreux or Lausanne I’d do so between Geneva and Interlaken.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2018 at 15:07:21 #882752

Thank you.

Still working out the 4th and 5th day travel plans.

Veronique

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 April 2018 at 21:36:34 #882753

Day 4 suggestion:

From Interlaken take train to Lauterbrunnen then a very nice circuit to do is to Grütschalp (cable car), Mürren (train), Gimmelwald (cable car), Stechelberg (cable car), Lauterbrunnen (bus). From Mürren visit Schiltorn if the weather is favourable. Stop off at Birg for the Thrill Walk. In between Stechelberg and Lauterbrunnen the bus stops at the Trummelbach Falls. Well worth a look. On return to Lauterbrunnen maybe take train up to Wengen and back if you have time.

All these places are searcheable on the MySwissAlps website. Entire round trip is covered by Swiss Travel Pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2018 at 23:43:17 #882754

Personally I would cut out Annecy. Including France in your suggested itinerary may be complicating things too much. It might be more relaxing to cover the Lake Geneva area in one go.

You can easily go Interlaken – Luzern – Rigi – Luzern in one day and it would include a lake boat Luzern – Vitznau, so

IMHO days 2/3 should be Zurich – Lake Geneva – Interlaken, staying at Montreux, Vevey, Lausanne or Geneva, and visiting all the places along the lake from wherever your base is.

Day 4 should be in the Interlaken area

Day 5 could be Interlaken – Luzern lake and Rigi as above

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2018 at 1:53:28 #882755

Revised:

Swiss Travel Pass – 8 days (Travelling from Canada)

Day 1 – Arrive Zurich-Valduz-Zurich (overnight Zurich)

Day 2 – Zurich –Lake Geneva – (overnight Geneva)???

Day 3 – Geneva to Interlaken- From Interlaken take train to Lauterbrunnen then a very nice circuit to do is to Grütschalp (cable car), Mürren (train), Gimmelwald (cable car), Stechelberg (cable car), Lauterbrunnen (bus). From Mürren visit Schiltorn if the weather is favourable. Stop off at Birg for the Thrill Walk. In between Stechelberg and Lauterbrunnen the bus stops at the Trummelbach Falls. Well worth a look. On return to Lauterbrunnen maybe take train up to Wengen and back if you have time. (overnight Interlaken)

Day 4 – Interlaken explore Jungfrau Region/Montreux/Lausanne (overnight Interlaken)

Day 5- Interlaken -Lucerne (Lucerne boat tour, Luzern lake and Rigi) (overnight Lucerne)

Day 6 – Lucerne – Lugano – Lucerne (overnight Lucerne)

Day 7 – Lucerne a.m. -Zurich p.m. (overnight Zurich)

Suggestions for Day 2…Geneva?

thank you!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 April 2018 at 3:42:24 #882756

Hi Veronique,

Now that you have removed Annecy maybe we can convince you to remove Vaduz.

Pity you couldn’t fly into Geneva and out of Zurich.

But given your flights in and out of Zurich are fixed then if it was me I would start off in Lucerne then follow Golden Pass Line (http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass) to Montreux stopping off for a night or two in Interlaken. Then come back from Montreux to Zurich on your last day.

See http://www.myswissalps.com/so uthwestswitzerland/act ivities for things to do “out west”.

When are you travelling?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2018 at 6:36:19 #882757

I made a pit stop in Vaduz by car on the way back from an Austrian holiday near Söll and it is quite underwhelming. But I wanted to “tick it off” 🙂

The castle is nice, however, the town is very small….one main street for shops and everything is priced in chf still. 🙁 haha.

• The thread ‘7 Day trip Zurich, Geneva, Interlaken & Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.