7 days Zurich, Colmar, Freiburg in June

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2019 at 18:01:59 #821121

Hi,

This is the itinerary for our trip in May .

21-May-2019 Flight from Mumbai to Zurich

21-May till 24th May Stay and sightseeing in Switzerland. Stay at Zurich

24-May-2019 till 29 May-2019 Stay at Colmar, France

29-May-2019 till 1-June-2019 Stay and sightseeing at Freiburg Germany

01-Jun-2019 till 05-June-2019 Stay at Zurich and sightseeing in Switzerland

05-Jun-19 Flight back to Mumbai from Zurich.

Now I am exploring the options of :

1.visiting Lucerne & visiting either of Mt. Pilatus/Titilis/Rigi .

2.visiting Stein am Rhein and Rheinfalls .

3. Visiting Appenzell.

What do you suggest I should do? Are 7 days enough to do all the above mention things or will it be hectic?

I don’t think I will need a travel pass but perhaps day passes since I am not travelling too much..am I correct in assuming this? Do I need Passpartout which includes Lucerne ?

Also I would like to know ,during this period how much it rains and whether I need to carry appropriate gear for it?

Thanks and regards,

Geet.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    22 April 2019 at 6:46:28 #909980

Hi Geet, welcome to MySwissAlps! So if I’m correct, you’ll spend about 4 days in Zurich twice, once late May and once early June. That offers plenty of time to explore some areas of Switzerland, and I don’t think you have to choose between any of the three options you’ve listed. All can be well reached from Zurich and you’ll have enough time to make day trips to Lucerne (myswissalps.com/lucern e), the Rhine Falls (myswissalps.com/rhinef alls) and Appenzell. Further suggestions are at myswissalps.com/zurich /activities. You can check traveling times with the aid of the timetable: myswissalps.com/timeta ble. You’ll find that Zurich isn’t located very centrally if you’re interested in visiting the Alps. I don’t know if your accommodation has been booked already. If not, you may consider spending a few days in or near Lucerne instead: myswissalps.com/lucern e/hotels. It’s closer to the Alps and would even provide you with the option to make one or two day trips south to the Bernese Oberland: myswissalps.com/bernes eoberland/activities.

In nearly all cases a rail pass is cheaper than buying full fare train tickets. What’s best, depends on your finalized travel plans, as explained at myswissalps.com/train/ ticketspasses/practica l/chooserailpass. For you, a Swiss Half Fare Card could work out well:myswissalps.com/swissh alffarecard. If you prefer ticketless traveling, two Swiss Travel Passes for both periods in Switzerland are an alternative: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass. Information about connecting tickets to France and Germany can be found at myswissalps.com/traint ickets/france and myswissalps.com/traint ickets/germany

By the way, I moved your topic from the “Trip reports” forum to the “Misecellaneous” forum. Trip reports are only meant for travelers sharing their experiences after their stay in Switzerland.

I hope this gets you started!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2019 at 13:36:57 #909981

Thanks a ton Annika!!

It was such a detailed reply and I am sure it will give me great clarity in finalizing my travel plans.

Regards,

Geet

Annika
    7124 posts
    22 April 2019 at 13:55:11 #909982

You’re welcome Geet. Good luck with your preparations, and let us know if you have further questions!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2019 at 12:08:20 #909983

Hi Annika,

what I was wondering though was, if I buy consecutive 3 saver day passes it costs me 156 CHF whereas STP for the same period costs 230 CHF ,so what’s the advantage of buying STP if all the same things can be availed by buying three saver day passes? Or is it not possible to buy consecutive saver day passes?

PS : I found this http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass/details .It explains all my ques. So as per that link it’s beneficial for me to buy half fare card as you pointed out instead of buying STP.I will definitely put it all in an excel sheet and do actual math before deciding.

Thanks again for doing such a wonderful job of explaining swiss transport system which seems confusing at first glance.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2019 at 13:26:25 #909984

Just to be sure, with saver day pass I will have to pay for gondola ride or cable car for Pilatus/titlis or Rigi, correct? But boat ride at Lucerne will be covered.

As soon as I post a message ,I find a link…LOL … http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass.

All doubts cleared!

Arno
    15484 posts
    23 April 2019 at 14:29:02 #909985

Hi geet,

Glad to see you found everything you need! Indeed Saver Day Passes only is not always a good idea as it does not include most mountain transport. So it’s either Saver Day Passes plus a Swiss Half Fare Card, or just the Swiss Travel Pass as that’s the most comprehensive and flexible option.

• The thread ‘7 days Zurich, Colmar, Freiburg in June’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.