8 day Swiss Travel Pass – who to buy from?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 January 2018 at 19:09:37 #814195

Does it make a difference who I purchase the pass from?

I live in Canada so raileurope seems like the best option because they bill in CAD. I wouldn’t be losing anything by going with them versus the swissrail website?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 January 2018 at 0:20:29 #875378

>> Does it make a difference who I purchase the pass from? I live in Canada so raileurope seems like the best option because they bill in CAD. I wouldn’t be losing anything by going with them versus the swissrail website?

Do you mean the Swiss Travel Pass? You can see the current “best buy” options for your country of residence on the following page:

http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price

When you buy in Canadian dollars, a currency conversion fee is likely to be built into the Canadian dollar price, so you end up paying it one way or the other. However, you might avoid an additional foreign currency transaction fee if you buy in Canadian dollars – whether or not this fee is applied varies between financial services providers and products.

Whatever site you end up booking on, first make sure you are clear on whether the pass can be printed at home or has to be shipped, whether it needs to be validated before use, and whether there are any additional booking or shipping charges.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 January 2018 at 1:11:39 #875379

Thank you for your reply Alpenrose.

The eurorail website ships the travelpass. No print at home option. Is this a deal breaker?

Everything else looks good.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 January 2018 at 1:50:13 #875380

>> The eurorail website ships the travelpass. No print at home option. Is this a deal breaker?

That’s entirely a personal choice! Choose what suits you best, taking everything into account that I mentioned in my earlier post.

Personally, I prefer the print-at-home option. You don’t have to get it validated, and if you lose it, you can print another one (or print a few spare copies at home to take with you).

Alpenrose

Arno
    15484 posts
    30 January 2018 at 14:06:30 #875381

Hi GeeKay,

Which website did you mean by “Eurorail website”? If it is http://www.eurail.com, then you are looking at different products. They only sell Eurail Passes, no Swiss Travel Passes.

Nearly all websites listed on the page Alpenrose gave you offer print at home passes (Swiss Travel Pass).

To learn about the difference, please see:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 January 2018 at 14:12:21 #875382

Hi Arno,

the website I was referring to was found on this site under the rail pass heading. It is raileurope.ca I think it is okay since it is on your site but it does not offer print at home services.

Please let me know if I am okay buying from them . I would like to since they charge in Canadian dollars.

Arno
    15484 posts
    30 January 2018 at 14:21:01 #875383

Hi GeeKay,

They are certainly a credible retailer, no problem. And they do offer print at home: go to http://www.raileurope.ca/rail -tickets-passes/swiss-pass/index.html, pick “8 Consecutive Travel Days (e-pass)” from the list, then proceed with the number of travelers and the first travel date.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 January 2018 at 18:44:35 #875384

Thank you Arno!

It worked, I am all booked!

• The thread ‘8 day Swiss Travel Pass – who to buy from?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.