• Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 July 2019 at 12:11:36 #917283

<<“Question is can we leave our luggage in Lauterbrunnen station? Or where

can we find information about luggage storage in the train stations in

every town?”>>

http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/luggage

As it says on that page, follow the links to the SBB services.

one of them gets you here:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/railway-stations.html

Enter “Lauterbrunnen”

When you get to the info for that station, scroll down to 2 different listings_

“Baggage” and “Equipment and Lockers.”

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 August 2019 at 6:18:55 #917284

Thank you Slowpoke.

The SBB website shows that the locker size is 24.8 x 42.0 x 75.0 cm (only 1 size shown for both in Lauterbrunnen and Gridelwald). We’re planning to bring 1 large size luggage which the locker won’t fit (the rest of our luggage should fit). I’m trying to see what other alternative we have.

In http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/luggage it says “Many of them also have a staffed left luggage office where you can store your luggage for any amount of time.” Does this mean we can leave the luggage to the staff at the station and pick up when we’re leaving?

Also noticed this option: “You can ship luggage from train station to train station within Switzerland. This is available for many but not all train stations. The price is CHF 12 per item, with a limit of 25 kg per item. If you hand in your luggage before 7 PM you can collect it two days later from 9 AM.” But this means the luggage can only be collected 2 days later? This won’t work for us as we’re leaving from Basel to UK the next day.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 August 2019 at 8:16:08 #917285

Hello Melzach03,

Yes, this is what is means. I know for sure that this is possible in Lauterbrunnen during opening times of the staffed ticketing office, as I’m often there and see people picking up luggage. I’m not sure about Grindelwald, but assume it’s possible there, too.

Best,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 August 2019 at 8:29:23 #917286

Just realize the locker size is for small luggage. So even for our other luggage, it won’t fit 🙁

I noticed in SBB website there is an option luggage directly to Zurich airport, but not Basel. If this is the case, we need to change our flight to depart from Zurich (if we can’t leave the luggage with the station staff). We need to keep 1 small luggage with us though to stay overnight at Basel (we’re leaving Lauterbrunnen to Basel at end of our Day 8).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 August 2019 at 8:33:53 #917287

Thank you Steph for the info! This would be the best option for us if we can leave it to luggage with the staff!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 August 2019 at 9:04:22 #917288

Hi Melzach-

If you follow my instructions in my post above, at July 30, at 1211(about how to learn about services at any station), and check services at Lauterbrunnen station, you will find that the Left Luggage ( Baggage) office is open 7 days per week from 0700 until 1800.

You can do the same search for Grindelwald station to see if they have such services. My memory says that they do not, but, the best way to find out is to look it up.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 August 2019 at 9:18:08 #917289

Thank you Slowpoke for your reply. So that’s what it means. Yes, the website shows under ‘Baggage’ Opening hours is 0700 to 1800 Mon – Sun. I wasn’t sure that this service is to leave our luggage with them (it doesn’t say Left Luggage), so I wanted to make sure.

Grindelwald station shows the same, opening hours even starts 0640 to 1800.

Btw, when I checked for Zermatt station, it does show a separate ‘Left Luggage Office’ in addition to ‘Baggage’. This is why I’m a bit confused the difference between these two sections. For Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald stations, it doesn’t have ‘Left Luggage Office’ but only ‘Baggage’.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 August 2019 at 14:06:11 #917290

It is confusing…perhaps they are at two different locations in those stations.

Slowpoke

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • The thread ‘8 day family trip in Switzerland in November’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11190 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.