8 Days of scenic train rides September 12 to 19

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2016 at 7:02:06 #809452

June 16,

Hi everybody,

Me and my wife are planning to tour Switzerland from September 12 to September 19, traveling on 8 days Swiss Travel Passes. Our tentative itinerary is;

• Starting on Sep. 12 morning, from Tirano (Italy) to St. Moritz on Bernina Express and Ist night stay there.
    • Next day from St. Moritz to Andermatt on Glacier Express, and continuing our journey from Andermatt to Lucerne via Fluelen on some other train(s).
    • Plan to stay for the rest of our holidays (6 Nights) in Lucerne/Interlaken and traveling extensively from there to;
    • Interlaken-Jungfrau,
    • Zurich-Schaffhausen- Rhine falls
    • One day travel on Golden Pass Line up to Montreux
    • One day travel on Wilhelm-tell Express up to Locarno
    • Our final travel would be from Interlaken – Brig – Domodossola (Italy?) – Locarno-Lugano-Chiasso (Italy) and from there to Milan (of course not on STP) to catch our return flight in the evening.
    • In between we would like to travel some nearby places like Mureen, Pilatus and Engelberg etc.

Now my questions are:

1) My biggest concern is about the weather in this time of the year. Is it advisable to take such an extensive tour of Switzerland in these dates? Will it be too cold , (except Jungfrau), cloudy and rainy these days? Will it always be cloudy on Top of the Europe or we may find some clear day in between to visit there?

2) Is this itinerary is too ambitious or doable in 8 days?

3) Do some local/regional trains run on the routes of Wilhelm-tell Express and Bernina Express?

4) Any suggestions regarding our routes (some exclusions/inclusions) would be much appreciated

Note: we are early risers to start our days early and love traveling more other than any other activities.

Best Regards

Ijaz

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    17 June 2016 at 4:58:11 #853119

Thanks for joining the discussions, Ijaz!

1) September is a wonderful month weather wise. Not too cold, not too warm, and not too much rain. But of course that’s an average. You won’t know the weather until the day before, please see here.

2) It would be too ambitious for some, but it seems like you’ve thought it through. It is doable if you don’t mind long days of traveling. Those trips are certainly wonderful!

3) The Express trains are the exception. “Normal” trains operate everywhere all day long. More details are available on our Wilhelm Tell Express and Bernina Express pages.

4) The Rhine Falls are really far from Interlaken. There’s a lot to see around Interlaken too, see here please. They’re doable from Lucerne though.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 June 2016 at 12:59:00 #853120

Dear Arno

Thanks a lot for quick reply of my post. I will definitely take your advice and explore more the links you have sent.

Yours sincerely

Ijaz

• The thread ‘8 Days of scenic train rides September 12 to 19’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.