8 Day Swiss Travel Pass question

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2016 at 10:34:11 #809415

If purchasing the pass online, do I need to know my exact start date or is it valid for 8 days from,first use?

Thanks,

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15481 posts
    11 June 2016 at 11:03:07 #852969

Hi niokasc,

Print at home passes require you to pick the exact start date. What’s your scenario? When would you know your travel date?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2016 at 12:14:00 #852970

Hi Arno,

We fly standby so we never know exactly when we will arrive. Coming from the States, we may arrive in Milan, Geneva or Zurich.

We have arranged an apartment in Murren for Sept 6 -10 then the 10th through the 17th in Riomaggiore. So we plan to arrive on the 2nd and start using the pass but we can’t be sure and we will be leaving Switzerland for Italy on the 10th.

In addition to the Murren/Wengen area, we hope to take the Bernese Express southbound, overnight in Tirano then to Lucern via Lugano.

Thanks for your help,and all the great information on your forum.

Arno
    15481 posts
    11 June 2016 at 14:33:55 #852971

Hi niokasc,

I am not sure I understand your itinerary (particularly the part from Sept 2 to 6), but I will explain how things work: a print at home pass takes 1-3 business days to be e-mailed to you. You can check the sites listed here once you know your first travel day to see if they still offer it for that day. As you will receive it through e-mail you can even print it from a hotel. If this does fit your plans you can also buy it at a staffed train station in Switzerland (see the link). Be sure to bring all travelers and passports in that case.

There is no Bernese Express, but there is a Bernina Express that would fit in nicely if you arrive in Milan. You can either take a train to Tirano from there, or a train to Lugano and the Bernina Express bus ride to Tirano. The next day you would take the Bernina Express train to Chur and change there for your next destination.

• The thread ‘8 Day Swiss Travel Pass question’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.