8 day Electric Grand Tour Switzerland itinerary

• Shockingviz
    Participant
    8 posts
    8 June 2018 at 15:11:51 #816525

Dear all,

I’ve a last minute change to my original Zermatt and Wengen itinerary as i’ve chanced upon the electric grand tour route. I would like to seek your expertise to see if the following itinerary is feasible for my partner and I as we will be driving an electric car. Thank you for your time!

First day – reach Zurich at 6+am. Drive from Zurich to Bad Ragaz (overnight stay in Bad Ragaz)

Any recommendation to have scenic view/things to do apart from Spa in Bad Ragaz?

2nd day – Bad Ragaz – St. Moritz (overnight stay in St. Moritz)

3rd day – Explore St Moritz (overnight stay in St. Moritz)

Explore St Moritz lake, Silvaplana, Sils and Val Fex, drive through alpine pass (heading into the Upper Engadine: the Albula, Bernina, Flüela, Maloja, Julier and Ofen passes). Any recommendation on which route is easier to navigate?

4th day – St. Moritz – Bettmerhorn (overnight stay)-Explore Eggishorn.

5th day – Locarno – Zermatt (overnight stay in Zermatt) Journey from Lugano via Bellinzona and the Alpine passes St. Gotthard and Furka to Lugano Täsch.

6th day – Zermatt – Lausanne Journey from Zermatt and Täsch along the river Rhone through the Valais via Sion and Martigny to Montreux and Lausanne.

Explore Lake Geneva, Chillion castle, Lavaux

7th day – Lausanne – Bern (overnight stay in Bern)

Explore old town, Zytglogge, Bern Cathedral, Rosengarten (Rose Garden)

8th day – Bern to Zurich (departure)

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    8 June 2018 at 15:21:11 #887759

Hi Shockingviz,

Should be fun to do this without fossil fuel! So are you doing this on your own or is it a package like https://www.viator.com /tours/Zurich/9-Day-E-Grand-Tour-of-Switzerland/d577-14343P67 that you are considering? In case of a package it’s all planned out with hotels suitable to charge the car and driving distances that won’t be an issue to the battery.

I am not sure I understand day 4 and 5. St. Moritz – Eggishorn – Locarno – Zermatt is not the best order. You should switch Locarno and Eggishorn I guess.

As for the passes around St. Moritz: the Albula Pass is the narrowest road and perhaps the most difficult one for that reason. All are doable in summer during good weather, with some preparation and cautious driving.

Shockingviz
    Participant
    8 posts
    8 June 2018 at 15:38:50 #887760

Hi Arno,

Thanks for your prompt response. We actually planned with an agency with the places we have in mind and they will help us book the accomodation with the charging stations avaliable.

Sorry, there is a typo error. It should be:

4th day – St. Moritz – Bettmerhorn (overnight stay)-Explore Eggishorn.

5th day – Bettmerhorn – Zermatt (overnight stay in Zermatt). Riffalsee lake.

i would also like to find out if there are any toll charges that i would need to take note.

i’m also thinking whether should we go via zurich to bad ragaz route first (clockwise) or zurich to bern (anti clockwise). Which way would it be better?

thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2018 at 7:17:24 #887761

Hi Shockingviz,

I understand that you are renting the car in Switzerland? Then it will come with a highway vignette on the car that covers any/all tolls.

I think I’d head to Bad Ragaz first – head straight to the mountains as you are traveling in mid/late September I believe.

Shockingviz
    Participant
    8 posts
    10 June 2018 at 1:57:29 #887762

Hi Lucas,

Yup, we will be renting the car in Switzerland. Do you happen to know the charging station rates for electric car?

We are travelling from 3 Sep to 11 Sep 18. Will that make a difference to the things we have planned? Thank you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2018 at 8:03:25 #887763

Good question – haven’t looked into that before!

Check out EVPass here: https://www.evpass.ch/
    They charge CHF 1.50 + CHF 0.50 / kWh

Shockingviz
    Participant
    8 posts
    16 June 2018 at 1:04:04 #887764

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for the information. Due to the distance and no charging station, it is not possible to head to Bettmerhorn. Will have to replace with Locarno or Lugano. May i know which place is more worth to explore? What do you suggest? Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2018 at 8:59:37 #887765

Both are nice. I think I liked Lugano a bit more – maybe as I like bigger towns…

Read about my trip there last March: https://www.myswissalp s.com/forum/topic/tici no-region-trip-march-31-april-2

• The thread ‘8 day Electric Grand Tour Switzerland itinerary’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.