Any routes closures in early May in Switzerland?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 October 2019 at 0:27:43 #824205

I am looking into flying into Zurich on May 2, 2020 and flying out May 10 from the same airport. There are so many wonderful destinations available to do by train. Are there any route closures still effective during the month of May as I don’t want to make plans for somewhere I can’t get to. Also any advice is appreciated to do any day hiking trips that the trails will be dried up by then. Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 October 2019 at 0:44:22 #923687

Very little if anything will be closed in May. It is already late spring and most things apart from very high altitude paths will be getting towards their summer condition.

Arno
    15484 posts
    15 October 2019 at 6:00:59 #923688

Hi SirRebel,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! All trains operate all year round. Some cableways and cogwheel trains to the peaks do close over winter or have maintenance periods. You can check the timetable and our mountain peak pages for details:

Many hiking trails at higher altitudes (above 2000-2500 m) will not be accessible yet. Last May we did an actual winter walk in the snow at 1600-1700 m. It happened to be a cold period, this is different every year. That was a prepared, cleared trail. Unprepared trails will not be accessible or safe.

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 October 2019 at 21:03:49 #923689

Hi 1960man –

Here are his dates:

<<“into Zurich on May 2, 2020 and flying out May 10 from the same airport”>>

My experience is that most high Alpine resorts don’t open until early June. Also, although start times seem to be earlier these days, I’d be surprised if mountain cableways are open until some time in the middle of May… perhaps the third weekend.

Arno’s advice to check the timetable is necessary, and it will be available tomorrow for 2020.

<<“Also any advice is appreciated to do any day hiking trips that the trails will be dried up by then.”>>

For hikes above 2000 meters, June 15 is the rule of thumb for opening dates. Obviously, can be earlier or later, but rarely earlier.

Altitude is the determinant. Early May is very nice at lower altitudes, with good hiking conditions. That said, I usually make my Spring visit in the last weeks of May or early June. Less rain.

If a topo map would help SirRebel to match altitudes to names, here is a very good one:

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=e n&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo .pixelkarte-farbe&layers=ch.swisst opo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege&zoom=4&E=26 29500.00&N=1164850.00

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 October 2019 at 21:06:40 #923690

<<“Also any advice is appreciated to do any day hiking trips that the trails will be dried up by then. “>>

Please see my reply to 1960man.

If I were doing it, I’d go at least one month later, or even third week of June, unless you only wish to hike at low altitudes.

<<“Are there any route closures still effective during the month of May as I don’t want to make plans for somewhere I can’t get to.”>>

Not sure what kind of routes you are referring too, but auto routes through many high mountain passes don’t open until the first week of June, as a rule.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Any routes closures in early May in Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.