8 days budget trip around Switzerland in October

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 September 2016 at 17:20:35 #810057

Hello, friends:

we(two girls) are going to Switzerland from Austria on Oct 1, the below is our plan:

1. Oct 1st: arrive Murren or somewhere close

2. Oct 2nd: hiking up the mountain Schilthorne and stay in one of the hut (would like to know which one is the best choice)

3. Oct 3rd: hiking down the mountain and stay in either Interlakes or somewhere

4. Oct 4th: visiting the mountain Jungfrau leaving for Geneva

5, Oct5th: visit Geneva

6. Zurich a few days.

we would like to know where to stay is the best for our trip around mountains and our budget is very tight.

Thank you very much.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    8 September 2016 at 5:49:01 #855790

Hi Yajun,

Regarding Oct 1/2, this has already been answered: myswissalps.com/ forum/topic/ hiking-to-the-summit-of-the-schilthorn.

I would skip Geneva and Zurich. You only have a few days and I would recommend to spend that time in or near the Alps, unless you have specific goals (museums?) in Geneva and Zurich. Staying in or near Interlaken and Lucerne allows many scenic day trips.

You’ll find hotel suggestions on the pages I linked to. These pages might interest you as well:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 September 2016 at 0:48:59 #855791

Hello, Arno:

thank you very much! Would you mind to give the link to the hut?

Arno
    15484 posts
    10 September 2016 at 4:44:57 #855792

Hi Yajun,

Which hut do you mean?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 September 2016 at 17:12:59 #855793

Hi, Arno: We plan stay on the top of mountain one night. There are two huts available according to my research, there are two huts around there: Rotstockhütte and schilthornhuette. I donot know how to book those huts when I opened the website and also I do not know which one is the best one for my trip, could you give me some suggestions about it, thank you very much.

ya Jun

Arno
    15484 posts
    11 September 2016 at 9:56:53 #855794

Hi Yajun,

As far as I know both huts should be open early October. the RotstockHütte can be booked online, the Schilthornhütte only by phone. Either hut will do. It depends on the trail you intend to take. From Mürren, the shortest route is via the Schilthornhütte. You can do the hike in a day, so staying in a hut is not required. It all depends on what you want.

Here are some links:

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 September 2016 at 7:08:59 #855795

Hi Yajiun-

I’ll reinforce Arno’s comments about Zürich.

I’d definitely stay in Luzern instead of Zürich. It has a much greater variety of scenery and things of interest to the casual or first time tourist. If you do want to go to Zürich for specific reasons, it is about a 45-60 minute train ride by frequent trains.

You can also consider Zürich airport to be the airport for Luzern… good train connections, including a direct train with no changes with a stop in Zürich main station, that takes about an hour once per hour, in addition to those connecting through Zürich main station with a change of trains there.

I like Zürich a lot….for the cultural activities ….but not so much for scenery.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 September 2016 at 17:26:20 #855796

hello, my dear friends:

as matter of fact, we listened you two and changed our plan. we are not going to Geneva and Zurich but Lucerne for a few days. any suggestions around there?

Thank you very much

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 September 2016 at 18:24:44 #855797

Hi yajun-

Please check the link for Luzern that Arno posted in his first reply.

Also –

http://www.myswissalps.com/ce ntralswitzerland

Here is a nice hike that might interest you. Not as demanding as climbing the Schilthorn…;-). Actually, there a few ideas in that link.

Also-

http://www.lakelucerne.ch/en/ timetable-fares/timetable/

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘8 days budget trip around Switzerland in October’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.